Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ML350 Inspiration & 2006 E350 4MATIC
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have the old becker stereo unit in my car and sometimes when i turn it on the volume shoots all the way up (even tho the volume knob is all the way down)...is this a speaker problem? or is it the becker unit problem ?

also how do i manage to get this unit out of the car, ive been trying to get it out for a while but it wont budge, i took out the a/c panel, its switches and the ash tray to get a little more room but the unit just wont move...is there some hidden screws or something?

also one more problem, when i turn the radio on the antenna goes up as normal, but when i turn it off 80% of the time the antenna goes down but not all the way down, it sticks out about 3inches...how do i fix that?

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
My stereo was non-operational, and not really installed properly. But... what I think you need to do is take out the ashtray, then feel UP. There should be bendable tabs that secure the POS Becker. Then when you get it out, get yourself a bat or sledge hammer to finish the job.

I haven't gotten to fixing the antenna yet, but from I have read, I think the radio is supposed to only make the antenna go up half way. The rest of the way is controlled by the antenna button. Unless you have an aftermarket antenna. Then all bets are off.

BTW, The speakers only play what the head unit/amp tells them to play. So, it's a stereo unit problem, not speakers. (But, new speakers are cheap and are the most important factor in your sound quality - and the stock speakers suck.)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn i dont want to throw away the becker unit, though i could do something about the volume knob....are there any other alternatives to the becker (a stereo system that looks old), i dont want to get anew stereo where it has all that stupid lights and garbage....

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
i wrestled with wanting to keep that gorgeous chrome stereo in, but eventually I just got a new one.

It won't ruin the car, I promise. It'll drive the same, ride the same and even look the same, too!

What it won't do the same is barely be audible at highway speeds, which, in my opinion, is a very, very good thing.

*very* good.

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,664 Posts
iNeon said:
i wrestled with wanting to keep that gorgeous chrome stereo in, but eventually I just got a new one.

It won't ruin the car, I promise. It'll drive the same, ride the same and even look the same, too!

What it won't do the same is barely be audible at highway speeds, which, in my opinion, is a very, very good thing.

*very* good.
Agreed,don't fear modernizing your W123.If you don't like all those flashy features on todays car stereo's but want robust performance,go for a Nakamichi hands down.Very retro appearance and superb sound.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Take the old Becker radio and pull the top cover off of it. Its just held on by friction. Spray an "electronics cleaner" (available at Radio Shack) inside the radio on the back on the volume knob while turning it. You should be able to see 3-4 plates rotating against one another. Spray the cleaner in there. This should clear up the volume problems. Becker can refurbish your old unit. I think it used to be about $150. And if anyone doesn't want there classic looking chrome Beckers, send them to me!!!!
They are great radios, at least in their time.

Jamie

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JamieK said:
Take the old Becker radio and pull the top cover off of it. Its just held on by friction. Spray an "electronics cleaner" (available at Radio Shack) inside the radio on the back on the volume knob while turning it. You should be able to see 3-4 plates rotating against one another. Spray the cleaner in there. This should clear up the volume problems. Becker can refurbish your old unit. I think it used to be about $150. And if anyone doesn't want there classic looking chrome Beckers, send them to me!!!!
They are great radios, at least in their time.

Jamie
yeah i know this is a quite old thread but now i have time to work on this car...anyway when you say "electronics cleaner" do you mean the cans that just shoot out air? or is it something else?

·
Registered
703 Posts
DarkManX4lf said:
yeah i know this is a quite old thread but now i have time to work on this car...anyway when you say "electronics cleaner" do you mean the cans that just shoot out air? or is it something else?
No, not the can of air. Electronics cleaner is a alcohol based cleaning fluid in a spray can thats designed to clean electrical componets and terminals. Always handy to have a can around for cleaning corroded terminals on anything.

Jamie

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JamieK said:
No, not the can of air. Electronics cleaner is a alcohol based cleaning fluid in a spray can thats designed to clean electrical componets and terminals. Always handy to have a can around for cleaning corroded terminals on anything.

Jamie
ok i went to best buy and they dont have the alcohol based electronics cleaner...

lets hope i can find it at radio shack, everytime i go there and ask them for something they know absolutely nothing of what they sell....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so radio shack had an alcohol based electronics cleaner...now the problem is i cant get the stereo out, i removed the climate control panel. The stereo wont budge at all...do you guys have any tips to get this stereo out?

also the antenna wont go down when the stereo is off, i mean it does move down when i turn the stereo off but it doesnt go all the way down like normal...even when the stereo is on and i press the switch for the antenna to move down it wont go all the way down...how would i fix this? buy a new antenna unit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
DarkManX4lf said:
ok so radio shack had an alcohol based electronics cleaner...now the problem is i cant get the stereo out, i removed the climate control panel. The stereo wont budge at all...do you guys have any tips to get this stereo out?

also the antenna wont go down when the stereo is off, i mean it does move down when i turn the stereo off but it doesnt go all the way down like normal...even when the stereo is on and i press the switch for the antenna to move down it wont go all the way down...how would i fix this? buy a new antenna unit?
Try to clean the atenna itself. Sometimes the sludge collects on there and it has a hard time telescoping. After cleaning, try lubricating it by spraying a little bit of silicon lube on it, then wiping down the excess.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Remove the ashtray to give you some extra room. Pull the knobs off the radio, and gently pull the faceplate off. It should just unsnap. You will find two brackets with a slot head screw on either side of the dial. Loosen these until you can jiggle the brackets out, and the radio should just pull out. If you have a stereo radio, mark whick speaker wire came from which terminal on the back of the radio.

As for the antenna, make sure it is not bent. Even the slightest tweak will keep it from retracting. If the mast is okay, there may be a problem in the antenna motor, possibly part of an old "mast tail" jamming up in the retracting gears. And yes, these can be taken apart and rebuilt to some degree.

Jamie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts