Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '85 300D about 2 weeks ago. Love it. Absolutely everything works on the car...until last night. I was listening to the radio then it just shut off. I had the stereo "cranked up" for the first time...really enjoying myself then...silence. Lights on the stereo still work, but the stereo itself just won't turn back on. The antenna won't go up and down either. (Does the radio have to be on in order to put the antenna up with the antenna switch?) I checked the fuse. All fuses appear to be ok. Are there any things I could check on my own to troubleshoot this? Or is my 20 year old stock stereo just dead?

Thanks,
Dan in Portland, OR
(MB novice)

·
Registered
1981 280e
113 Posts
On the old beckers there is a small fuse in a plug in holder at the back of the radio ,pull it out and check . The symptoms you mention point to this fuse.[:)]

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I would like to know where that pesky fuse is before I start. Also, where can I get one of those fuses? Special order or any car parts store? Is it the same type of fuse as the rest of the fuses that are located under the hood?

--Dan

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Got it! Its a fuse with sand it in or something. Gonna get one tomorrow. Hope it works.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gdbmj - 3/27/2005 1:13 AM

Its kinda a clear plastic holder thats a bit fidly to get out.
So, mine is has the clear plastic holder. I'm wondering where I can find one of the fuses that goes in there? And to be honest, I don't even know if the fuse is bad. There is no obvious way to tell. The body of the fuse is white with various colored stripes. Anybody know where to find one of these?

--Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts