Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Won't somebody go out to their car and spin the steering wheel for me, pleeeese?

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
I cann't believe that some guy in Canada gut some guy in Kuwait to go out and turn his wheel.:eek: Was there still snow on the car or what:eek:

Would someone send me a million gals of cheep gas Pleeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ussun said:
I cann't believe that some guy in Canada gut some guy in Kuwait to go out and turn his wheel.:eek: Was there still snow on the car or what:eek:

Would someone send me a million gals of cheep gas Pleeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So far, nobody has done anything except pull my leg.

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
dugald said:
How many turns lock to lock on 560SL steering?

Dugald, For what it' worth, '78 450SLC, 3-1/2 turns lock to lock. I know there were suspension, steering, and brake component changes on the 560's but I would think the lock to lock would be similar

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave. You are a gentleman.
I just found a table on oursl.com that says 3 turns....
With 1 to the left, and 1 3/4 to the right o my car, I kind of agree with your number. I'm trying to figure out if I am missing some travel to the left, or the steering geometry isn't centered.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For completeness in this thread, here's the full story about my steering woes, as posted in another thread....

I wasn't just imagining the bus-like turning circle of my 560. Today I noticed it was considerably tighter turning to the right than to the left. I checked the steering wheel turns from straight ahead to each lock: just over 1 turn to the left; nearly 1 3/4 to the right.
The car's history shows two front end accident repairs. It tracks straight, no tire scrubbing, steers fine except for the noted problem. Maybe the geometry was assembled wrongly somehow during repairs. Perhaps the steering box was R&R not centered?
As a start, can someone tell me the correct number of steering wheel turns lock to lock?
I'd also appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
Dugald, I think you right about the collision repairs. I'd suggest putting it up on stands and checking for interference causing the reduced travel to the left. If nothing is obvious then it's all about finding a MB experienced front-end shop to get it put right.

And in Baido's defence, he seems very enthusiastic, but I think there is a bit of a language barrier to overcome. I kinda like the guy. Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts