Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a year ago I purchased a wood rim steering wheel via the web from a German company. It was very expensive (mainly due to shipping charges) and is a beautiful thing but it does not fit. At the time I just put it away meaning to do it another day.

The problem is the splined hole is too small to fit the steering shaft, I suspect my poor command of German is to blame and I've been sent the wrong thing or... do the 123 steering shaft diameters change between models? Does anyone know?

I've looked carefully at it and it's the same in every respect apart from the hole size, The piece with the hole (boss?) is riveted to the steering wheel and I'm considering buying another used wheel and having the rivets drilled out and swap the centre over, I'm not prepared to do this myself as I think its beyond my abilities to retain the safety integrity of the wheel but it does look a fairly staightforward conversion.

has anyone struck this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What I gather from shopping for steering wheels on ebay is that the early R107 mercedes look very much like the early w123 steering wheels but have a 15mm center not a 21 mm.

For example eBay Motors: MERCEDES R107 SL 280 350 450 VINTAGE STEERING WHEEL (item 350139629989 end time Dec-21-08 16:00:35 PST)

I don't know if you can change the center hub or not I do see a snap ring so maybe it's possible.

P.S. that is a nice wheel I seen them for $1000 so I know you like to use it. Maybe it's a good excuse to by a R107. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts