Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I pull up on my steering wheel in a dircection 90 degrees to the plane of the wheel, it moves by about 1mm, this was noted at my last MOT, but was not a fail item thankfully.

There is no rotational free play to speak of, the steering coupler is good from that standpoint.

Is this normal, or is there a way to tighten it up?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the steering coupler (check again and pull on the wheel with someone watching), or POSSIBLY (possibly) the collapsible steering column is somehow loose (this would be extremely unlikely). The nut or bolt for the steering wheel seems tight but is there is actually a space between the wheel and nut itself?

Maybe the gear in the steering box itself is loose (this too seems unlikely).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this issue has taken some time to get round to, strife2 suggested tightening the steering coupler. After I checked this a couple of weeks ago I could see that the end of the steering column was moving in the axis of the column by 1mm or so when an assistant pulled on the wheel.

There seems to be no access from the top of the car so I went in from below.

First removed this heat shield, 3 screws hold it in place.

These are the tools needed to loosen or tighten the coupling, 6mm hex bit and 10mm spanner to fit the hex bit.

With the coupling screws pointing downwards, there was no way to get a tool onto the rear screw, it was recessed behind the bulkhead.

Rotating it 90 degrees allowed a small hex bit to be slotted in.

Close up

Wider angle.

I was then just able to get a spanner on to the bit, it was not tight so tightened it up.

No more movement in the Z axis with the steering wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts