Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz CLK Avantgarde
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 W208 CLK. The problem is very weird, at low speeds at around 20-30mph there is no vibration at all. At around 50mph the vibration is noticeable via the steering wheel, at around 70-80+ mph the vibration disappears!

Maybe a coincidence but i dont know, i changed the front brake pads on Sunday, drove car on sunday it was fine. drove it on monday and the vibration was evident. i thought i might have knocked a wheel balance weight when i took the alloys off, i took the car to a garage today and had the wheels balanced.
The alloys are not bent, are all fine. The car has brand new Pirelli PZero Rosso tyres (only around 1,000 miles on them).

I'm going to check the tyre pressure on the car tonight but if this doesn't work what would you recommend the next step to be?

I have searched the forum and it seems other people have had this problem but i haven't found a topic whereby the solution to the problem was listed!

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
checked the pressures of the tyres, all OK!! took the car on the motorway on the way home, vibration starts around 50mph fully disappears at around 75-80mph.

grrr!!!!!

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320
174 Posts
Search for the topic

There's definitely a thread on here that talks about all kinds of different things that could be possibly wrong. I remember that one because I was involved in it. I had the same problem. Mine was fixed by going to get the tires speed balanced. They balance them at over 100 mph.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
also there is no shaking of the steering wheel when breaking, its nice and smooth

mine is different because the vibrations are only at certain speeds, it doesnt get worse with speed which is weird!!

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
Remove & rebalance your wheels. If that doesnt work, check your lower arm bushings.

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,292 Posts
they are right , willing to bet you need all 4 balanced..make sure you do all 4

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SORTED!

It was the bloody wheel balancing. The garage that did them yesterday are gonna get a raping from me tomorrow...im gonna look forward to it.

I took it in to get the bearings/arms/bushes checked - no fault found. So they span the wheels and the nearside front was well out.

Rebalanced, all OK!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts