Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just brought my e55 and had it service two already for vibration in the steering wheel. House of imports said that is normal for the car. Any one else experiencing this?

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,910 Posts
1fly55 - 5/11/2005 4:03 PM

i just brought my e55 and had it service two already for vibration in the steering wheel. House of imports said that is normal for the car. Any one else experiencing this?

I dont think thats normal, check your wheels also, it may not properly balance...

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Definately is not normal. If the dealer tells you that, tell them they are idiots.

You may have a bent rim. Did you hit any potholes lately? Sometimes it is hard to see a bend in the rim so keep that in mind. May also have a bubble in your tire which could cause this. I found a bent rim of my W210 E55 was the source of my vibration.

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Definately is not normal. If the dealer tells you that, tell them they are idiots.

You may have a bent rim. Did you hit any potholes lately? Sometimes it is hard to see a bend in the rim so keep that in mind. May also have a bubble in your tire which could cause this. I found a bent rim of my W210 E55 was the source of my vibration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When they don't know how or why there is a problem, they just tell you it's "normal" just to get rid of you. They (the dealer) are f***ing morons. I went through the same nonsense w/ my car. It is possible you have a bent wheel and/or a bad tire. I had 7000 miles on my car when I started noticing a progressively worsening vibration. After being told it was "normal" by Mercedes Benz of South Atlanta (Don't ever go there by the way) I refused to give my loaner (since I had it for other warranty work) back until they had the front wheels checked for bends. Well, as it turns out the right front wheel was bent. It was straightened, which took care of about 75% of the vibration, but I could still feel it in the steering wheel. I decided to replace the ContiSports w/ the Michelin PS2s and that cured ALL problems. The front tires had worn unevenly from being driven on the bent wheel, which also caused an out of alignment situation, hence ruining the tires. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Diamond White, 2005 E55 Pewter - Sold
17 Posts
I also felt a vibration in the steering wheel immediately after picking up my car 6 months ago. I went less than 1 block and turned around and went back to the dealer. I was told that the tires were just flat-spotted from the trip over by boat. They told me to drive it for a while and it would go away. What they really meant was for me to go away now that the car was sold. They really do think we are stupid. Long story short - Mercedes rebalanced my tires 3 time before they figured out that the problem was elsewhere. A new set of tires by Mercedes. Prob persists. I bought a set of S-03 Pole Positions, better tire, less problem, but still there. Car has been in the Service Center for three days now while they fix the problem. They are now looking at the axles and are having new ones sent from Germany. They at least acknowledge that there is a problem and are willing to try and resolve it. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys.. but bad luck keeps following everywhere. I ran over a ladder on the freeway the other day and crack both my left rims. Now my beast is sitting in the garage collecting dust until my HRE comes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have the vibration in my 06 with 600 miles. I noticed it immediately and I am going crazy trying to convince myself that it could be normal. I noticed that the loaner c240's don't have a shimmy problem so why does the top of the line e class? If someone does find the ultimate fix please let me know what it is. For now it's off to the service dept for a witch hunt. Good luck to you all and thanks for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Take your car back and tell them to replace your Contis with PS2... The Contis are the problem (shimmy and vibration of the steering wheel).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree w/ 2K5E500. My car (well, wife's car now) has 26K miles w/ no shimmy at all, and it's on the second new set of PS2s. Even though they're pricey, they're worth the $$, or if you can get the dealer to swap 'em, that would even be better, but I'd bet it's your tires. Those Conti's suck.[:D]

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
e55 lover - 4/18/2006 11:24 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think it was normal. At least I have a good starting point. You guys are the best!
I have PS2s on my car as well - and before - i had bridgestones...there's vibration in the bridgestones too... (well in my opinion) ... for the extra $$$... the PS2s afford you a much better ride....

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention before is that the vibration doesn't happen all the time. It happens at various speeds and regardless of weather the road is smooth or rough. It seems to vibrate when it shouldn't and not when you would think it should. Very strange. Is this the same with you guys?

·
Registered
99 E320
11 Posts
THAT IS ONLY A TEMP SOLUTION. THE TRUE FIX IS TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND TELL THEM TO REPLACE THE THRUST ARM BUSHINGS WITH THE SOLID LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS. THIS IS ALSO THE FIX FOR THE CLS.

·
Registered
04 E500
334 Posts
I have the same issue -actually I have it on a E500.

Had the control arm busings replaced too. Dealer gave me some BS excuse that its the tires. Said the V shaped treadwear from my new P Zeros are the cause.

ABout to take it to the purchase location and try another set of tires to prove MB wrong.

·
Registered
CLS 55 AMG, One Day !
321 Posts
I cannot believe the Bull***T that dealers try to feed you guys to shut u up, its pathetic, i cannot believe how poor the customer service is in the U.S

I have never seen thoose kind of lies told in australia ! and would be appauled if i did !

·
Registered
07 e350,99 C43 /w 55 swap
98 Posts
u know i understand that dealers have a bad rep but all this site turned in to is trashing them im a master tech at a large dealer and i admit it there morons working there but let me tell u i fix every car i touch the first time and dont feed cust, w bull and take pride in helping with ? here if it wasnt for the techs that know what there doing at the dealers it would suck

·
Registered
15 Posts
I surely appreciate a good tech. You guys make the service world go round. Unfortunately, there are a lot of service writers and techs who don't care or can't easily solve the problem so they take the easy way out and say it's normal or can't duplicate the problem. They are the ones we are complaining about. Please don't take it personally and keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts