Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 440.000 km
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything else related to steering wheel and mirrors works well, the only thing which is not functional is memory function of steering wheel tilt.

So if I press the memory button on the doors (for example, no.1) the steering wheel does not move verticaly. This adjustments must be done manually (over tilt switch of course, which works perfectly).

Any idea? bad contact ? where?

·
Registered
1997 S500V
272 Posts

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked your mirror wiring integrity?
One of my symptoms of degraded mirror wiring insulation was erratic steering tilt/telescoping motion even though seats and mirrors appeared to work fine. Just a thought!
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...revisited.html
nice thread indeed, thanks. the tilt switch itself works fine, only when I use a memory button there is no response, so it is logicall that wires are ok. Anyway it is not a big trouble, I just asked :) maybe someone will give another idea. But your thread is definitely useful.

·
Registered
1997 S500V
272 Posts
nice thread indeed, thanks. the tilt switch itself works fine, only when I use a memory button there is no response, so it is logicall that wires are ok. Anyway it is not a big trouble, I just asked :) maybe someone will give another idea. But your thread is definitely useful.
I would be cautious and not yet conclude the mirror wiring is good until a visual inspection is performed. These W140's have a wiring insulation reputation!

That was my symptom and point: using the tilt switch, it worked fine but using the memory button the mirrors and seat move BUT the tilt wheel doesn't move! It got worse and I started blowing the fuse which stopped all seat/mirror and tilting wheel. All the shorted wiring made for unreliable memory operation.
Doesn't hurt to check your mirror wiring!

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my symptom and point: using the tilt switch, it worked fine but using the memory button the mirrors and seat move BUT the tilt wheel doesn't move! It got worse and I started blowing the fuse which stopped all seat/mirror and tilting wheel. All the shorted wiring made for unreliable memory operation.
Doesn't hurt to check your mirror wiring!

Ahaaaa, this time you were much clearer and you convinced me that there is a connection between the mirror wires and steering tilt. So, you actually removed both mirrors and made "only" a new insulation of the wires? That's the whole point? You did not replace any wire?

thanks and best regards.

·
Registered
1997 S500V
272 Posts
Ahaaaa, this time you were much clearer and you convinced me that there is a connection between the mirror wires and steering tilt. So, you actually removed both mirrors and made "only" a new insulation of the wires? That's the whole point? You did not replace any wire?

thanks and best regards.
Sorry if I was not clear and a bit speedy! Yes, I was having erratic tilt movement with the one fuse that goes to memory, power seat, etc kept blowing the 20A fuse. So I went to a 25 A fuse for 2 months. Then it blew and I went to a 30A fuse. After that blew a couple times. I noticed smoke from the mirrors when I fully retracted the mirrors then I was convinced the mirror wiring was faulty BUT could not determine until removed the housing and saw all kinds of wiring shorting/melting.

In the mean time whenever the tilt didn't move based on the memory button, I could hear the relay module clicking in the passenger foot well.

My other symptom I forget to mention was my right mirror would go all the way right when using the memory buttons. BUT I could individually move it with the mirror button no problem.

Sorry for all the excruciating details but I thought you may have the same root problem and thus a solution.

If you find bad wiring, I would repair it see if that corrects the issue. If not, it looks like more troubleshooting or living with it!

Best of luck!
Mo

·
Registered
1997 S500V
272 Posts

thanks and best regards.
Ooops, I guess I need to answer the question! Yes, I ONLY replaced the insulation, not the wires. Using a paper clip or small screwdriver to push the wire pins out then you can slip the insulation on, shrink it, and push the pins back on the connector.

Wires exposed to the elements take a beating!

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. My situation is "completely" different than yours on the pictures. Namely, I do not see any of the three screws from outside with mirrors folded. so I have nothing to start with.

So i decided to live with the described problem, which is really a small problem, except if someone tells me how to get the thing appart. Nothing about it on Alldata. :confused:

·
Registered
1997 S500V
272 Posts
Thanks. My situation is "completely" different than yours on the pictures. Namely, I do not see any of the three screws from outside with mirrors folded. so I have nothing to start with.

So i decided to live with the described problem, which is really a small problem, except if someone tells me how to get the thing appart. Nothing about it on Alldata. :confused:
Don't give in quite yet! Try this post!
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1353044-1996-s-class-mirror-dis-assembly.html

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks again.
I can see that the three screws can be reached from the inside. But somehow I do not have a heart to dig into this portion of the car. When the first trouble, like in your case will appear, I will not hesitate to do it.

What if only one contact has to be sprayed with contact cleaner? I assume that should happen in the module which is responsible for steering wheel tilt, or in module where the steering wheel memory is processed? Where this can be? presumably this can be done quickly and without a risk that some plastic part will fell appart like it may happen in disassembling the mirrors ... I am only speaking about most elegant option to start. digging into mirrors (which are maybe totally ok - do not forget that USA cars are different than european ones) does not seem an easiest option to me in this moment.

best regards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.