Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing this image I really really want this steering wheel now. I found a few on ebay but the prices are high. I need a w140 wheel. Is the bolt the same?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,110 Posts
I agree, that wheel is very good looking. I may be wrong, but I think it is a W124 steering wheel and should fit out W126s.

I would also like to know where the extra door wood can be purchased. I found a UK website, MercedesPerformance.com, that sells a wood panel for the center part, replacing the leather covered panel, but I think the wood in the picture looks a lot better.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
AxelWulff - 4/20/2005 3:20 PM

I agree, that wheel is very good looking. I may be wrong, but I think it is a W124 steering wheel and should fit out W126s.

I would also like to know where the extra door wood can be purchased. I found a UK website, MercedesPerformance.com, that sells a wood panel for the center part, replacing the leather covered panel, but I think the wood in the picture looks a lot better.
Many AMG's had those wood trim around the doors... could be an AMG mod?

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Yes, the wheels utilize the same bolts. Virtually all Benzes up to the year 1999 or 2000, w220 excluded, have wheels that will work in our cars.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wicked so sounds like an easy job? I dont have the telescopic steering or airbag system! All I need to do is find the steering wheel for a DECENT price. Im going to this one place tmrw but I have a feeling I wont find it.

If anyone knows?

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Super easy. Just pull the part of the wheel where you hit the horn towards you. It will come right off. The bolt that holds the wheel on is 14mm if I recall correctly, but I honestly can't remember, as it has been quite a while.

·
Registered
573 Posts
this is the exact wheel that i tried on the car afew months ago...please do a search to see the thread.

it looked good...felt good...but unfortunately cuts the vision of the instruments from the top, and both sides....if our wheels had vertical adjustment, there would be no problem, but no matter what, i couldn't fix the problem (and that included sinking the seat as low as it would go).

but i do agree....it looks great....i'm tempted to try it again. how much are you being quoted...here the wheel was offered to me for $400.

by the way, its not a simple 'plug and play' scene. you need a mechanic who knows what he's doing, as there is some retrofitting required to the back of the new wheel before it will work properly....not a big deal, but not a diy job..imo.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
I have the exact same wheel except tt i have a special limited edition mercedes benz badge in the centre.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Check with tiger_biru because he/she will be putting the factory wheel back on his/her 123. I think its the same wheel.[;)]

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm it doesnt look like tiger's wheel is obstructing the view of the gauges? Was it just maybe the wheel you had?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Benzonline - 4/21/2005 9:31 AM

hmmm it doesnt look like tiger's wheel is obstructing the view of the gauges? Was it just maybe the wheel you had?
no...it looks fine in the photos...the wheel was the same (except in zebrano wood). but in reality i think its a little different.

would the current owners of such wheels care to comment on the instrument visibility factor???

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
dont worry abt the instrument panel vide being blocked.. your experice will teach u how to figure out speeds and rpm's by need position at its pivot point.. the rest gauges hidden more aggresively dont need a frequent view.. every now and then on highway.. u can bend ur head and give it a peek..

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok...I managed to find a place in town with these steering wheels but they had no covers which was one problem. Another problem was I still dont think it will work and the guy said it wouldnt eitheir because of the slider rings and connections. From reading this thread my impression was just to plug n play but its not.

How was it done exactly?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts