Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
True and also fit to older 85 -190E , shaft has the same gear teethes, horn ring & air bag plug.
FYI : Many differ model like R170-R129-W202-W123-W124-W140's s/wheels also fit W201s between : 85-95 model year.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
This is my old 'big' wheel in this '85.

The the dash, console, armrest and steering wheel were updated to later models including the smaller leather covered wheel. While the diameter was less than an inch of the old one, it was amazing how much more room it provided. I quit looking for a smaller wheel as it was no longer essential for my purpose. There are smaller M-B wheels in some of the larger and later models that fit. The airbag is essential for appearance but it's not activated and won't be. It took a while to find a leather wheel in good shape but it was worth the wait. Total price under $50 for everything, the airbag being the most expensive by far.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Any suggestions for smaller diameter steering wheel for 1984 -- no airbag?
If your 84 in side air bag & horn looks like these then these are a smallest dia ( some where around 16" minus plus ) its will bolt on perfecto...;)

From 93 w201 & R170

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The problem with the smaller steering wheels is that it blocks the instrument cluster in the 190. The steering column sits too low at least on the later airbag cars.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yep..a little bit but you also can adjust seat reclining to the best position..I'm just a dwarf and I'm good ..lol
tjts1 : I have a question : play around with all my relays at the fuse box today and after that my Driver and rear right pass power window are not functional now ( Front pass & rear left are good )
No fuses blew off ..what went wrong ???

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks to everybody for all the steering wheel info!

silarrow ... LOL!
My Windscreen wiper motor stopped. Had to wiggle the relay contacts to get it working.
3 days later, the left turn sigal stopped working. Again, I had to wiggle the relays.
The thing most engineers need to remember is that electricity is mechanical. Most problems are about the connections.

Now, if I could only figure out how to remove the cover to the fusebox. Then I could actually pull out the relays, and clean up the contacts.

I mean, really! What poor engineering to place the fusebox and relays outside the cabin, where it is subject to much more corrosion.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Yep..a little bit but you also can adjust seat reclining to the best position..I'm just a dwarf and I'm good ..lol
tjts1 : I have a question : play around with all my relays at the fuse box today and after that my Driver and rear right pass power window are not functional now ( Front pass & rear left are good )
No fuses blew off ..what went wrong ???
I have my power seat all the way down both front and rear and I still can't seem to find a comfortable position. Then I sat in my friend's car the other day which is also a 2.6 manual with power seats and I immediately found a comfortable position where where my knees don't contact the steering wheel and I can see all the instruments. The seat cushion seems to be about 1" lower on his 88 car compared to my 92. Also the gap between the top of my steering column and the dash seems a bit bigger on my car. frustrating. I need to figure out something. Looking at the pictures in #6, it seems like that steering column is a few degrees steeper and higher than mine.

I wish I could help with the electrical issues. I guess go over the fuses very carefully with a light, make sure none are blow and no pieces of metal from old blown fuses are stuck in there making contact between a couple of the good ones. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thanks to everybody for all the steering wheel info!

silarrow ... LOL!
My Windscreen wiper motor stopped. Had to wiggle the relay contacts to get it working.
3 days later, the left turn sigal stopped working. Again, I had to wiggle the relays.
The thing most engineers need to remember is that electricity is mechanical. Most problems are about the connections.

Now, if I could only figure out how to remove the cover to the fusebox. Then I could actually pull out the relays, and clean up the contacts.

I mean, really! What poor engineering to place the fusebox and relays outside the cabin, where it is subject to much more corrosion.
Vishvamata: Seattle CL :
MERCEDES SL 129 SL320 SL500 STEERING WHEEL AND AIRBAG

Looks & price is good .It will bolt on your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts