Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
DELATINA38 - 4/22/2005 1:22 PM

HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO REMOVE, WITHOUT A LOT OF TROUBLE?
It comes right off - just undo the screws. But seriously if you are going to shout your request .... then at least tell us what the car is.

I assume you are talking about 1999-2001 CLK with pushbutton steering controls.

You need a T(TORX) 27 and a small tool to undo the two screws at the back holding the airbag.

Beyond this I will stress very strongly that any newbie should not be tampering with airbags or talking on the mobile phone when doing this work.

If you are qualified then removing the airbag reveals a 10mm hex bolt. Simple.

·
Registered
300SD, 300E, SLK230
89 Posts
Just did this on my wife's 1998 SLK230.
Remove negative battery wire!
Disconnect Driver's and passenger Air bag connectors. On the SLK they are bright red and underneath the dash and to the left of the Steering column, and attached to the back of the passenger footwell kick plate. The Torx on the SLK were T30, although T27 fit pretty tightly. Try a T30 with a lot of leverage to break the screw loose. I tried it with a screwdriver and brought up several bruises on my hand. I bought a torx "jackknife" type set from Sears that gave me plenty of leverage.
The Steering bolt is not a regular bolt in the SLK, it required a 10mm allen-type hex key socket. I bought it at Sears and used my 1/2" breaker bar (about 18 inches long)and an appropriate adapter and short extension to attach to the 3/8" socket with integral 10mm hex key. Even then, it takes a lot of force to remove.
Good luck.

·
Registered
Brabus ML 270CDI
1,904 Posts
Also did this for my ML.

PS: Make sure you remove the ground (- negative battery) connection before starting.

Looks like you have a E Class. I had a 290TD E Class and it was the same for the removal.

Here is the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Check the W210 Forum...

I just swapped my wheel and posted a DIY with pictures, tools needed etc. Here's the thread:

http://forums.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1213234

And welcome to the forum!!
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just removed and refitted the steering wheel on my C Class to get at the direction indicator switch. On my car torx was T30 [ 3 inch long allen key type best ].
Did the 10mm hex with an allen key and 18 inch leverage. Do not lever against steering lock! Get tough g/friend to hold the wheel.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mercmender - 6/23/2005 8:08 PM

Just removed and refitted the steering wheel on my C Class to get at the direction indicator switch. On my car torx was T30 [ 3 inch long allen key type best ].
Did the 10mm hex with an allen key and 18 inch leverage. Do not lever against steering lock! Get tough g/friend to hold the wheel.
This is what I mean by good information in the wrong hands.

The airbag is not T30. It is T27. If you damage the TORX head on an airbag then where do you go from there.

I still think this kind of thread is a fools paradise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts