Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300SD, 300E, SLK230
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the steering wheel so I can replace the valved hydraulic cylinder which controls the telescoping of the steering wheel. I've disconnected the battery and both the driver's side and passenger side airbag connector. My problem is that I can't remove the airbag from the steering wheel. I found out that screws holding it in place ate TORX and apparently T27 (even though I read in another forum that they are T30). I just can't get the screws to break free. [:(!] Has anyone out there been successful in removing the steering wheel airbag? Any hints how to do it? The TORX screwdrive just doesn't allow me the torque needed to get the screws started. What did you use?
Barry

·
Registered
300SD, 300E, SLK230
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your manually telescoping steering wheel should begin to move in and out and not lock properly, the problem is a hydraulic cylinder with a valve that has begun to leak. This causes the steering wheel to move in and out in a "spongy" fashion.
The repair for this is a straightforward replacement of the cylinder. The problem is that it's not easy to get at this thing. Replacement involves removement of the panels under the dash on the driver's side. This is followed by removal of the airbag (FOLLOW ALL REQUIRED PRECAUTIONS!) and the steering wheel. After that, you simply (HA!) unbolt the old one, remove the control wire from the nylon valve arm, and install the new cylinder. OK, it's really a pain in the butt to get at this thing and get it out and back in. A couple of key points:

Disconnect the negative lead to the battery and make sure it doesn't flop back onto the terminal.

Disable the driver and passenger air bags by disconnecting the bright red airbag connectors. The driver's side is to the left of the steering wheel under the dash, and the passenger one is on the back of the kickplate in the passenger footwell (plastic nuts hold the kickplate in place under the carpeting).

The airbag is held in place by T30 (torx) screws that are accessed through holes in the back of the steering wheel (2). You will need significant leverage to remove these. Don't plan on "breaking" the screws loose with just a T30 screwdriver. I got a set of Torx in a "jackknife"-type configuration from Sears for about $7. This allowed me to apply some right-angle leverage to free the screws.

While you're at Sears getting the torx set, pick up a 10mm hex key socket (10mm allen wrench attached to a 3/8" socket). I used this and my foot and a half long 1/2" breaker bar (with 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and short extension) to break the steering wheel screw free. I'll attach a couple pictures to show you the cylinder and this tool.

Once you've got the steering wheel off, it pays to be a contortionist to get the cylinder unhooked from the control cable and the new one installed. I have other photos if anyone is seriously interested in this process.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Yeph - i once tried to remove a torx screw that hold a back seat in place (other car) i gave up - i heard you had to use impact wrench to free it up. So back to your problem - get the correct bit and a big wrench or piece of pipe.

·
Registered
300SD, 300E, SLK230
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kiril,
Read my long post. I got a tool (not impact) and fixed everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts