Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I am still working on restoring a 80 SL 450 for a lady. She has a good bit of play in the steering. Holding the wheel straight I can turn it to the left over an inch before the car starts to veer to the left.

What part of the steering system can I start to look at. I can see the steering shaft coming through the firewall and it seems to move the same as the steering wheel.

Is there any adjustments on the box? The car only has 65.xxx miles on it.

Thanks for any opinions
Brian Felts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,699 Posts
Hey all I am still working on restoring a 80 SL 450 for a lady. She has a good bit of play in the steering. Holding the wheel straight I can turn it to the left over an inch before the car starts to veer to the left.

What part of the steering system can I start to look at. I can see the steering shaft coming through the firewall and it seems to move the same as the steering wheel.

Thanks for any opinions
Brian Felts
Allowable free play is 25 mm ~ 1in. That is left to right 1" total. It is adjustable to an extent but I would suggest you use the proper procedure from the CD. The adjustment is made by watching for an increase in friction as the box rotates through center. If you adjust it off center, bad things will happen. At 65K mile you shouldent need anything.

John Roncallo

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts

Thanks for any opinions
Brian Felts
Steering box adjustment can be done but only as a last resort. You should be looking at everything between the front wheels and the steering coupler. A couple of thou here and there and next thing you know.....
The coupler is usually a good part of the free play if worn.

Of course, you could get a smaller steering wheel.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the coupler I should check? Is it in the steering shaft or down on the tie rods etc. The previous person was suppoes to have the colum out but I am sure the steering wheel was never off.

When I have it up in the air and the front wheels trun free the play does not seem to be there.

Thanks for any input once again.

Brian

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
At the top of the steering box. It is the connection between the box and column. Best seen from below, the play will be obvious if someone moves the wheel for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts