Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 R129
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have 2004 S430 and everytime I turn the steering wheel to the far left, there is a single knock /bump sound (in the under-the-hood area on left side of engine bay) as it goes through the extreme range of motion. It is a reproducible knock/bump. Does anyone have an idea as to what this may be.

Thanks,

RC

·
Registered
2003 S600, 2002 C320 Wagon
156 Posts
I had a similar sound/feel in the wheel except, in my case, it was just off-centre. It turned out to be a loose clamp at the point where the steering wheel shaft connects to the steering arm. All it needed was to be tightened.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar problem with mine w220 but no single knock or dump, it was sounding "click click click" by repeating. Problem appear Turning steering full left or right. Like "redc320s" says it needed was to be tightened. My dealer did it and all was ok that time. After 1 month, suddenly, it appeared again. Later, dealer said that problem is "Steering Box" it costs $3k but i bought OEM one from Germany at 1,300 usd.

But I think, yours could be from rot. Then, you are lucky.

·
Registered
, 2012 S600L designo, 2003 W211 220 CDI
226 Posts
I had it as well. sounded like a metallic crack noise, like when you tigten up your wheel bolts the last little bit. dealers looked it over a few times eventually saying it was the steering rack. strangly it stopped doing it after a few weeks and hasnt returned, that was 6 months ago!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts