Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Tectitgrau S210
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like most of you, by now my steering wheel is looking real naaaaasty. Unfortunately since my car has a REALLY rare interior color SA Code 215A Quartz/Siam Beige it has been impossible to find a good used replacement (MB wants $900 list, $625 my price, still expensive). The color of the wheel is called out as DOLOMITE (Color Code 8H80/8H83) in the EPC. I've been hunting ebay.com and ebay.de for a year now with no luck, only one that pops up is the 7E36 Orion Gray, the color that comes on the more common "Ash" colored interiors. Its a more blue-ish gray versus my beige-ish gray.

Anyways...

I'm wondering if anybody has adapted a W203 airbag to the W210. My color code (Quartz) is a very common interior on the early W203 cars and I can get a steering wheel with airbag for under 500 USD. I'm pretty sure the spline is the same, but the plug is what I'm not sure about.

I'm hesitant of getting the wheel recovered because all the work I have seen look terrible compared to stock, like some cheap cover. Also my airbag is fading from the stupid detailer using harsh chemicals on it, so I'de like to get a new one as well, or have it redyed to MB spec, but where?

·
Registered
2001 430T 4Matic, 1999 735iA
335 Posts
so whats wrong with taking the car to a local leather worker, and having it refitted? Clean up the grimmy part of the plastics with something like "marine clean" and it all is well.

Not quit sure what you are hoping for :D In germany you can find Steering wheel releathering for 160€ in any color you´d want ;)

and the steering wheel looks like the standard "grey" ?

edit
ah sorry, just starting to really read ;) Yeah, sorry my advise sucks balls... But still, the wheel looks like the onion grey one I have.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,983 Posts
Ok first, this made me LOL.

Yeah, sorry my advise sucks balls...
Second, it looks like the W208 wheel will fit, but not the W203, I have no idea what the difference is in the part. You can see from the pic below that the EPC has all the applications for this part number;

Attachments

·
Registered
Tectitgrau S210
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, I gave up on the idea of W203 swap. I was originally trying to make this wheel work on the w210 because I really like the half wood trim. But after close study the airbag and radio control plug for the 2 cars are different. I'm 99% sure that the wheel spline itself is the same tho since there is a common part number on MOMO hubs.

Now, today I got in contact with Craft Customs Steering Wheels and Wood Dashes customizing repairing and reconditioning and custom steering wheels regarding their rewrap service. Been told that rewrap is $350 and to refinish the airbag another $100, plus 20 shipping each way. I'm leaving on vacation in a week and I will not need to use the car for several weeks during which time I'll send the wheel out to get redone. From the looks of their website they do decent work and they assured me they can get the color more or less dead on since they have over 100 colors to choose from, may not be 100% but close enough not to notice, also the airbag is going to get resprayed so it wont look like the mismatched pic I posted above.

btw, here is what my wheel looks like currenty, less then 2 years after the 2nd pic was taken. I must have acid sweat... Its not dirt, its the dye comming off..

·
Registered
2000-E320, 2012 Buick Enclave, 2004 Ford Ranger, 1973 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
194 Posts
Please let us know if you send them your wheel, they quoted me $550 to redo the leather on my steering wheel and refinish the wood (mine has a couple of crackes from the Florida heat). I would like to know how satified you are with their work.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,727 Posts
my ACTUAL interior, but the steering wheel is in much worse shape now.

i have having the same interior configuration with you, except your car is 2001, it has a different shifter nob. I have ventilation seat and navi, but no PARKTRONIC, and no wood leather steering wheel.

Now, my steering wheel looks even worse than yours. Donno why, it turns black on the top and on two sides.

Then, the airbag is off centered ( it's just like this for the past 4 years since I got this car )

Well, I'm now trying to find a exact wood color and leather color steering wheel, it's expensive on ebay, 400$..Do you think the price in fair?

besides, I also wanna get a EURO-SPEC leather wrapped airbag. It seems very expensive, 1200 Euro just for an airbag....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 CLS500 base
141 Posts
Installing my first head unit 1998 w210 with bose

Hello everyone i'm new here, I just purchased an e320 w210 with the stock bose system. The head unit is starting to fail (no cassette, volume etc) and they quoted me 200+ to upgrade i figured i might as well throw in a new head unit for less with more features. This is my first install on a car but I was told it is fairly easy i am thinking of going with this unit, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX597/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X597.html?tp=5684 . Does this seem like a good deal for the car any info or help would be appreciated. Also I was told that I need a stereo with 4volt preamps to run the bose speakers is this true? Thanks

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
a very popular question. Good choice with that head unit. Its making me consider changing mine with the same Bose option. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
253 Posts
Since you don't have the steering wheel buttons to deal with, it is pretty straight forward. There is plenty of info on how to do this. Yes, you want at least 4volts out on the pre-amp. You also want to make sure to get the right wiring harness adapter, and the antena adapter (unless the head unit has a euro style antena connection) as well. Also make sure to get the radio keys with the head unit.

The one thing I did notice, you really need an IPhone to make use of all the bells and whistles. If you have an Android phone, you may want to keep looking.

·
Registered
2006 CLS500 base
141 Posts
Since you don't have the steering wheel buttons to deal with, it is pretty straight forward. There is plenty of info on how to do this. Yes, you want at least 4volts out on the pre-amp. You also want to make sure to get the right wiring harness adapter, and the antena adapter (unless the head unit has a euro style antena connection) as well. Also make sure to get the radio keys with the head unit.

The one thing I did notice, you really need an IPhone to make use of all the bells and whistles. If you have an Android phone, you may want to keep looking.
The site I linked that unit from says they send all the installation equipment I need (harness, keys and antenna adapter). I assume they send the vw one, is this a pretty common harness? Also I am wondering why I need a 4 volt preamp if everything gets wired through the harness and there is nothing going through the rca?

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
The site I linked that unit from says they send all the installation equipment I need (harness, keys and antenna adapter). I assume they send the vw one, is this a pretty common harness? Also I am wondering why I need a 4 volt preamp if everything gets wired through the harness and there is nothing going through the rca?
4v< is needed because the Bose amp requires that level across its inputs. that
is my understanding. had you the non-Bose system, you could select a head
unit which provides a lower signal

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
4v< is needed because the Bose amp requires that level across its inputs. that
is my understanding. had you the non-Bose system, you could select a head
unit which provides a lower signal
You'll understand when you get the stuff.

The Harness Adapter uses the RCA connections on the back of the deck, which then feed to the Bose Amp though the car's harness/wiring. That's why you need the greater preamp voltage.

Technically you don't "need" the preamp voltage that high if you have a quality deck, but you'll find you're cranking up the volume knob quite a ways if you have less than 4V. And if you have a cheap deck with 2V, the sound will suck. ;)

It's all pretty straightforward. The only kicker will be if you don't have a connection for the red wire (I think) in the harness adapter. Just look at it and see if there is a terminal in the car's harness that aligns with that wire in the adapter. If not, you'll have to tie in to a switched hot lead; the cigarette lighter is conveniently nearby, but be sure to fuse it separately.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2015 ML250 Bluetec and 1987 560SL
3,588 Posts
Oh ok, when swapping decks is it a matter of popping out the old one, hooking up the wiring and popping in the new one
This, more or less.

Wire up that harness to the new deck before you do anything else. Then take it outside, pop the old deck out, the new one in, and go.

If it all fits, that is...if you're just swapping a head unit, shouldn't be an issue, but if you're like me and adding modules, finding a spot for them might get interesting...

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
no one replied...:-(

Anyway, our steering wheel color is NOT silver, or ash, it's brown. It's so hard to find one of the brown colored with WOOD. Dealer has it for 1700 $
karl, not sure if this applies to facelift w210 because of the buttons on steering wheel, but steering wheel in w140 fits pre-facelift w210. leather/wood steering wheel is pretty common in w140, so check with junk yards to see if they have yours. i like car-part dot com, because they list junk yards from all over the country. i haven't checked in years, but when i got mine i payed about $200 shipped for black/walnut in mint condition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts