Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the buttons for the steering wheel controls?
I just need to remove the top face part (buttons), not the whole control assembly.
Does it require me to remove the airbag?
I want to clean them individually and maybe repaint them?
(that's not my steering wheel in the pic, mines worst....lol)

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I just repaired mine on the stering wheel mate.! they got to that sticky stage so I cleaned them up then masked off the wheels and sprayed two coats of clear laquer on the buttons. It worked a treat and have stayed nice and clean for 2 years now with no flaking.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ghia su re SPIRO....i have the same problem.

A1EK..before u gave them a hand of coating how did u remove that sticky stuff?

A spray or something, a cleaning stuff?

Tks

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
The buttons are a part of the driver's airbag unit, held on by 2 screws on the underside of the steering wheel. I don't think that you can replace these buttons individually.

·
Registered
282 Posts
keyhole...that's why A1EK was saying that he got rid of the nasty stuff without removing the 2 sets of buttons...a very easy way without complicating or throwing money at new ones....just i don't know how did he remove the sticky stuff,that's why i asked in first place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remove Sticky Residue on Buttons and Swich Panels

Denatured alcohol works perfectly to remove the sticky residue on buttons and switch panels etc. Take your time and avoid getting it on the leather if possible. (Q-tips work well around the edges) It may take several applications depending on the severity of the sticky residue. I had a pretty bad case on the light switch panel and the steering wheel buttons and was able to remove all of it in about 30 minutes with no color fading. Don't rub hard! Use multiple light applications instead. I recommend soft paper towels or a soft cloth. change the area of the cloth that you are wiping with frequently to avoid transfering the residue back and forth. Denatured Alcohol is preferable over many of the other methods as it will not leave any odor or residue of its own.

At first you may not think that the residue is coming off very well as it tends to smear around (much like trying to wipe up sticky syrup). Be patient and and you will be very pleased with the results. To repeat though: Do not use anything abrasive and do not rub hard! The plastic is white underneath and will be exposed if you rub off the outer finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts