Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys/Gals,
I have a 1985 300SD. I just started driving it, and noticed that the tires squealed at inconsistent times (especially when on a long curve). As I have driven it more and more, I noticed that the the steeering seems to "float". I decided to look at the suspension a removed the passenger front tire, and came to notice that the inside of both front tires were VERY worn.
I am thinking that I might have to replace all the suspension? ball joints? other parts? get the car aligned? I miss driving the car, but do not know that much about MB. I can post photos of the worn tires if that helps. Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Lots of potential issues to deal with here. How many miles on the car? If the car hasn't had a high level of maintenance done, then you will need to replace several items. By "floating" what do you mean?

Ball joints, tie rods, drag link, idler arm bushing, steering shock are definitely on the list. Lower and upper A-arm bushings could also be worn. When you take the car in to have it looked at, be prepared to ask about each of the above items. an honest alignment place will give you the straight dope. If I were you, I'd make sure you get OEM parts-- aftermarket stuff will just not stand the test of time, and it's not something you'll want to do again in a couple of years. I just did the tie rods, drag link, idler arm, and new shocks (Bilstein comforts) for $300 labor, and about $350 in parts. All the parts other than the shocks were Lemfoerder. Ball joints are cheap for parts, but expensive for labor... figure a couple hundred total. Might be better to do the whole deal all at once.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Answers to questions....

Hello Gentlemen,

I thank you for your replies. It looks like I will be replacing all the rubber bushings, and ball joints.

The ball joints seem to be pretty dry. They do not feel like there is any grease underneath the rubber. They do not seem to be loose.

In response to the "float", the car would seem to float when I hit a bump, or am going above 45mph. The steering wheel would sometimes jump when I hit a ding in the road.

The shocks seem to still be pretty good. (I might replace these guys)

If this seems to be right route to take, please advise this MB newbie.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Before you start, check into the STICKY, Service Manual Index. Find which procedure you need and ask someone to post it.

The ball joints don't have a way to grease them, unless they're torn they won't degrade, very fast anyway.

The float you describe could be failing shocks. Even if they pass the bouce test, they may need replacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts