Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 just went over 50K and also developed an occasional shimmy. Tires look good, no uneven wear, so thinking it is time for a new steering stabilizer. Cant bring myself to get bent over ($$) by the dealer. Any good sources for this part ? THX

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys - 49 looks and no response ? Gotta be a direct source for this fairly generic steering stabilizer )shock absorber" BTW who makes the part ? Bilstein, Sachs ? I dunno. Help please - cant stand paying the MBZ stealership x2 or x3 for basic parts anymore... THX

·
Registered
615 Posts
My 2003 just went over 50K and also developed an occasional shimmy. Tires look good, no uneven wear, so thinking it is time for a new steering stabilizer. Cant bring myself to get bent over ($$) by the dealer. Any good sources for this part ? THX
My local indie parts guy has also a problem finding this part. I had canceled a online order when those guy came back to me and wanted another $50,00 (after confirming the order)

Still driving with the old one - tires are now balanced nicely, so it's not as bad as before.....

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Eurotruck importers or 4x4club can get it for you. Two regular vendors on the forums.

Karl, i suspect part of why the vibration is reduced is also becuase the larger are heavier and less rigid due to extra sidewall, which slows down the natural frequency of vibration so it's hard to get them to shimmy... part of my conclusion about this is hearing how the folks in finland run 38-40" tires without any steering stabilizer... as long as everything is balanced, the natural frequencies drop so low it's hard to get them to shimmy.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I'll check them out. I have also had good luck with Caliber Motors down in Anaheim Hills, California. They are a MBZ dealership, but they have an "internet department" that sells well below the usual MBZ dealer gouge.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have just bought an fuel distributor to my 300GE from this company:

Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips

I tried contact a usual forum suplier without answer.

I have a suplier in Germany too ( for original or OEM parts) , but in this case the rebuilded part costed 30% of a new one. My original has been rebuided here in Brazil....so i have a spare part for this complicated part.

Fernando

PS- Grabber at2 265/70 R16 in the truck

YouTube - OFF Road G 500 Mantiqueira

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts