Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 1987 190E 2.3. Whenever I turn the steering wheel it makes a squealing noise. Doesn't matter if it's clockwise or counter clockwise.

I checked the power steering pump when someone turned the wheel and the sound is isolated inside the car. BTW the power steering fluid is not low.

Any ideas what's causing the noise. Is this a tell tale warning sign of something ready to break?

·
Registered
70 Posts
loroco - 4/9/2005 9:12 PM

This is a 1987 190E 2.3. Whenever I turn the steering wheel it makes a squealing noise. Doesn't matter if it's clockwise or counter clockwise.

I checked the power steering pump when someone turned the wheel and the sound is isolated inside the car. BTW the power steering fluid is not low.

Any ideas what's causing the noise. Is this a tell tale warning sign of something ready to break?
Take out the steering wheel and clean the inner parts (contact areas between the steering and column).....the noise is caused by dust and dirt between contact areas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it's not actually the steering wheel that's making the noise, it could also be that the front ball joints need to be replaced.

My 190e squeaked forever until I had the ball joints upfront replaced.

Although if you say that the sound is limited to the interior, it's unlikely that it's a ball joint issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the difficulty level in removing the steering wheel, does it require special tools? Can removing the wheel also trigger the air bag?

·
Registered
1985 2.3 16v euro
35 Posts
trust me on this, doing anything can set off your airbag!!! make sure and disconnect your negative battery cable first! also you might just try spraying inbetween the wheel with compressed air to see if that is the problem, you should be able to tell pretty easily where the noise is coming from after that, is the squeal accompanied by any clunking noises or play / looseness in your steering have you visually inspected your ball joints lately?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts