Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
ML270 CDI 2000 (March)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
new on here so apologies if these questions have been asked before but I couldnt find what I was looking for.
I have an ML270 CDI 2001.03 French registered car. To get it through its 'Control Technique' (or MOT) I need to replace the steering rack (or so Im told?, I think there is a leak on the driverside seal/bellows, but garage said just replace the whole thing?). He quoted me 1300 for the part alone and I can find them online for 350.
So my question is this.. Is there anything I need to be careful with when buying a new steering rack?

Next question is sometimes when my clutch pedal is depressed the clutch re-engages and the car starts moving..? There is a slave cylinder at the pedal and I am wondering if these needs replaced or perhaps some kind of spring in the actual clutch

Does anybody know what this is likely to be?

Being from the uk and not speaking much French makes it difficult to speak to the guys in the garage :crying

· Registered
Dallas, Texas
13,437 Posts
Bellows on the steering rack is there to protect piston and inner tie rod from externals contamination. If fluid is found there rack needs to be replaced with rebuilt one.

Re clutch:
If there are no external leaks in clutch hydraulics master cylinder at the pedal is at fault. Normally you replace both along with the hose.

· Registered
ML270 CDI 2000 (March)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bellows on the steering rack is there to protect piston and inner tie rod from externals contamination. If fluid is found there rack needs to be replaced with rebuilt one.

Re clutch:
If there are no external leaks in clutch hydraulics master cylinder at the pedal is at fault. Normally you replace both along with the hose.
Thanks Witek_M.
When I buy a steering rack is there anything I need to be aware of when ordering? Some are mentioning Servotronic(?) and prices are ranging from 300-1300 euros?

The clutch doesnt appear to be leaking any fluid anywhere? I was thinking it may just be the cylinder at the pedal (is this the master?) and maybe the rod is slipping out, but I havent a clue really?

Is it a costly exercise replacing the clutch system?
Cheers

· Registered
Dallas, Texas
13,437 Posts
Who is going to do the work? Make sure shop will accept outside parts.

You don't show up at the restaurant with lamb and as them to make you a roast and sweater.:wink

Clutch master cylinder 202 290 01 18 is $92.00 on this side of the pond.

· Registered
ML270 CDI 2000 (March)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I checked with the Garage, and its fine.
Just want to make sure I order the correct one. There are steering racks up until 2000.09 I think that is the one I need but want to be sure?

Thats not too bad for a master cylinder, might ask him to do that as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.