Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Broght my ML320 into the shop to have the tie rods replaced and it turns out the steering rack is the problem and needs to be replaced. What are my options for sourcing the part? Ideally I would like to find a rebuilt OEM rack but not sure where to get it from a reliable seller.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking at an online supplier called carsteering.com. Anyone have experience with this outfit?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
I would avoid part brands that only have a virtual store front that can only be had through them or eBay/ amazon. I purchased a rack from Detroit Axle for myGMC. Nothing but issues 2 racks failed after the last I purchased one from Advanced Auto.
No problem buying online as long as it is a name brand product, like Bosch, or a national chain house brand.

Here is the thing racks are hard and cost to ship. You won’t have a box the core goes in that gets shipped back. Rack goes bad. You pay for a replacement, then wait for it to be shipped, and wait for transit time.

Buy local rack goes bad you walk in with the old out with replacement. Even if not in stock many stores take 24 hours for a replacement. All this of course I am referring to warranty replacement.

I been there not worth it out the cost of a rack. Because I did not want to deal with Detroit Axle again and waiting for shipping. Also out the cost of 2 alignments paid for three but had it gone well the first time would of been 1.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
A Cardone rebuilt will cost you 359 from advanced. Ship to home only. Usually a coupon for something off maxes out at 50. But if you have issue you can deal with your local atore. Not endorsing advanced there are many other national chains to go .

·
Registered
2001 ML320
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a local supplier that is selling rebuilt Mercedes racks by Maval. What is the feeling about this company?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Not familiar with Maval I used Cardone in the past and used it on the gmc because through Advanced I got life time warranty.

Looks like the maval is sold many places, but warranty is 1 year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts