Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ml430 744 silver
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the right side tierods changed at the dealer and they came back to me with the discovery that the power steering rack is leaking inside the rubber boot! Can this be fixed with an o-ring or seal replacement?
I just changed the revervoir and o-ring seal and purged the air. My whining has been 100% gone for 3 weeks now and no fluid loss in the reservoir has been noticed. I checked it. They want to replace the whole rack for BIG bucks! I told them changed just the leaking seals if they find any and there is NO way I am changing the rack. Also, the posted exploded diagram doesn't show the seals inside the rubber boot . Does anyone have a diagram handy?
The steering is perfect by the way.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

·
Registered
2001 ml430 744 silver
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to take a guess about the power steering fluid in the steering rack boot. Please anyone chime in with an opinion. I have a theory that maybe the fluid showed up in the rubber boot because I had just did the purging
procedure to get the air out of the system. Maybe all that cycling was causing some fluid to blow-by the seal and settle in the boot. Like I said in my OP I had NO ps fluid loss.
ANyone agree with my theory or have an alternate idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts