Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
BMW, but Benz-curious
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 99 E300TD sedan for its engine, presumably with a single-vane power steering pump. I'll be running hydraulic brake assist, and that leaves me with three options. The default is importing 002466190. Two others I'm less sure about.

1. Can I bolt an M112 pump to an OM606? The mounting bracket looks at least close. Specific donor in mind is a 10/01 E320 4Matic wagon. The pulley size may be different, but I'll need a non-stock belt length anyway as the AC compressor and alternator will likely be relocated.

2. Can I have a custom hose made to split a single pump's output to brakes and steering? I know how to drive and won't be sawing the wheel while standing on the brakes anyway, but to be sure, is there another reason OE setups use a dual-vane?

·
Registered
BMW, but Benz-curious
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops, should be 0024661901. EPC lists that as a tandem-vane pump for W210 E300 turbodiesel wagons with SLS and/or ASD.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
1,032 Posts
You might be able to use the tandem pump from a W124 300TD or TE. The second pump is for self leveling suspension. The OM603 has a similar block to the OM606. The M104 pump might fit.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
BMW, but Benz-curious
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but the whole thing is moot. First, looking into hydroboost, it turns out that a practical solution is to plumb the brake and steering assist servos in series (brakes first), so no need for a parallel circuit like a tandem-vane. Second, I decided against hydroboost altogether, since there's a (sort-of) plug and play solution to relocate the vacuum booster; I'll just use vacuum brakes instead of hardware that's about $1200 and a sourcing headache to replace if it ever croaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts