Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smith Mercedes of Haverhill, MA has giving up on fixing my under warranty 2000 C230.

The problem I'm having is with the steering. When you turn the wheel all the way to the left or to the right there is a lot of play when you wiggle the wheel. It makes a banging noise. Here is what they replaced. 1. steering box 2. tie rod assembly 3. tie rod ends. They told me the banging is normal. Can someone please tell me if this is true.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
E220 1994
72 Posts
Is the banging still there? Take a look at the idler arm bushing (very Cheap to replace), and the steering damper (cheap also).
I do not believe you need to replace the steering box just for the free play.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thank you for responding, the car is under the Starmark warranty. They have replaced many items listed above but the noise is still there. An MB rep is coming on the 28th to look at it. I will mention what you suggested but I believe those parts have been replaced already. When the wheel is all the way to the right or left and you wiggle it with your hand on the tire you can feel the bang. We've checked the ball joints and struts and everything seems to be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts