Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased my C180K. When turning the steering wheel rapidly from left to right or vice versa there is a knocking noise emerging from the steering column. This occurs when the car is stationery & in motion. Sometimes when driving there is this knocking feedback through the steering wheel. Dealers say that this is normal. Has anyone experienced something similar? Could it be a faulty steering rack. I have tried this on other vehicles (Audi, BMW, etc.), and there is no noise.

Eldrid (South Africa)

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
eldrid - 5/3/2005 8:56 AM

...Dealers say that this is normal. Has anyone experienced something similar?...
No, that is not normal at all. I have owned 2 W/S203s, and been driving some dozen loaner W203s. None of these have had any steering noise.

But do not worry, it is possible that the reason is as simple as lack of lubrication in the steering mechanisms. I would also check the power steering oil. Even if too little oil in the power steering usually causes more like a metallic sound of running wheels.

·
Registered
C180K
56 Posts
eldrid - 5/4/2005 9:56 PM

I have just purchased my C180K. When turning the steering wheel rapidly from left to right or vice versa there is a knocking noise emerging from the steering column. This occurs when the car is stationery & in motion. Sometimes when driving there is this knocking feedback through the steering wheel. Dealers say that this is normal. Has anyone experienced something similar? Could it be a faulty steering rack. I have tried this on other vehicles (Audi, BMW, etc.), and there is no noise.

Eldrid (South Africa)
This is NOT normal. Happened to mine and the dealer fixed it under warranty in a couple of hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts