Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 300d turbo, steering lock is jammed up tight for going on 2 weeks now. been trying the "jiggle" every day to no avail, getting ready to replace the whole ignition but really really really don't want to. i'm looking for any kind of easier fixes anybody might know of from past experiences. it was parked with key out of ignition but steering lock not engaged, i was backing out with our other car and scraped along the passenger side of the mercedes hard enough to push it to the left and turn the wheels, locking it up good. no real damage other than the door being dented and it didn't move the car very far at all so any damage would be minimal i think. please help! i get a little play with the steering wheel, 2-3 inches i think but can't get the key out of position 0. i'm a self taught newb so you might need to dumb it down a bit for me lol

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
the jiggle is all you can do. try moving the key out just slightly from bottom before you jiggle. also, wiggle the wheel while you do all this junk. if you do succeed in getting out of pos 0, do NOT, by ANY means, turn it BACK to zero... no matter how curious you are. disconnect the battery and sacrifice something to the car gods and walk away from it until your new tumbler is in hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
incredible

its been almost 3 weeks and thats the first advice that doesn't sound retarded! i'll keep giving it the jiggle and see if i can still get it loose but i've only got a few days before i have to pay faaaaar out my ass to get it fixed. how much trouble am i in for if i try to remove that ignition without getting the key to pos 1?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
limited success

we used a sawsall to cut off the steering lock, ripped the ignition down to the basics and got it running with a screwdriver while we're looking for a replacement ignition to plug into the wiring harness. ironically its harder to steal now since anybody trying to make off with my car would have to locate the vaccuum hoses and know what to do with em lol. thanks for the help hopefully this hunk of junk will get me through to tax returns!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts