Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at repairing the steering idler
in my w140, how straight forward is this repair, is it best left to the professionals or can i tackle this task myself?,

i managed to remove steering lock/ignition folowing instructions off this forum which helped a great deal,

anyone able to post up some details as to how to remove & install???

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
anyone able to post up some details as to how to remove & install???
I do not have the details, but once beneath the car, its quite obvious.

But, its rather dependent on the model of your car, and if the exhaust
gives you trouble of getting the bolt out/in on the upper side.

My M119 (500), was easy after removing a shielding plate (for the
starter or the smog pump, don't remember).

You should also lift the car in a way, that you are able to turn
the wheels freely, to get different clearance to use the wrenches.

You should also make sure, that the idler arm has no slop in its
connection to the tube, so that you do not alter the connection position
when moving the assembly out of its normal position to change the bushings.

All in all, a rather rewarding job.

Edit; And have a look here;
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1265415-idler-arm-torque-w140.html

br,
syljua

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,250 Posts
You will have play in the steering system, and when you are moving the wheel back and forth while looking at the idler arm, you will see the arm itself rock back and forth. This will tell you that the rubber is worn out.

I replaced the kit in my 190D recently, and it was fairly straight forward, once I removed the dust shield. The most difficult part was getting a long screwdriver in place through the bottom bushing to tap the top bushing out.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
You will have play in the steering system, and when you are moving the wheel back and forth while looking at the idler arm, you will see the arm itself rock back and forth. This will tell you that the rubber is worn out.

I replaced the kit in my 190D recently, and it was fairly straight forward, once I removed the dust shield. The most difficult part was getting a long screwdriver in place through the bottom bushing to tap the top bushing out.
Does the car have to be on to check for this play?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys thanks for your replies/help, but can anone post up a diagram or picture of where its located/what it looks like i know the steering damper, drag link etc. im prolly steering right at it but dont know if thats what im meant to be looking at .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts