Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 Bluetec, 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300D W123
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the steering gearboxes any good from the company Maval?

What is the level of difficulty for changing one? How many hours?

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Seth!
As a graduate of URI and waited tables during the summer at the Newport Harbor View Restaurant I am honored to provide you a reply.

I replaced the Steering box in my 240D. Since I was under car for a spell I also replaced the engine mounts and engine shock. I bought the steering box from Peach Tree parts (Year Listing - Peachparts Gearbox&mode=PA), nice guys.

I looked in my books and was surprised to see this job was just mentioned, no many details. The steering box is ~ $450.00 with a $230.00 core.

Read the many threads in related forums. Being organized and methodical helps, overall it is not a difficult job. Removing that major steering box linkage nut with a homemade 5 ft lever is the most challenging step. After that is really easy. Plan to have a buddy help you to start the three mounting bolts in the fender well as you hold the weighty steering box in place. Don’t forget to replace the steering fluid filter [Hengst 000 466 21 04 (E26H)] and use MB steering fluid (why not it is not expensive).

Depending on the miles on your car if you replace the box, engine mounts and shock I guarantee you will be most pleased with the results. Contact me anytime of you need help with this repair.

Thanks,
Zill.

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1983 300TD, 1995 E300
435 Posts
Check out on the [email protected] [email protected] forums for Army and I, both have resealed and adjusted these boxes. (Army has a great writeup for this showing all the innards)

I currently sell resealed and adjusted boxes for w123 and w126 versions. $135 + $45 core charge.

I'll also help with any adjusting and installation questions you might have.

·
Registered
2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 Bluetec, 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300D W123
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much, it is not something that I am going to be doing anytime soon, I just was interested in what it was like to do the job. I will come back to this post when the time comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts