Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about as easy a job as there is, right?

Nothing special, just unbolt the old one and put the new one in. Anything unusual pop up with this job?

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
Anything unusual pop up with this job?
Keep your mouth closed, even when wincing...all that dirt and grease don't taste good :D

17mm wrenches get two, one for holding the top bolt (bolt is installed facing down for safety, in case the nut comes off). I used one 17mm wrench and an adjustable to hold the other, worked too. There'll be two fasteners to remove. If you're lightweight like me you won't need to raise the car up, just crawl underneath it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think I can handle all that except for the lightweight part.... ;)

I'm in the weight range of a Linebacker and working my way towards lineman.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Keep your mouth closed, even when wincing...all that dirt and grease don't taste good :D

17mm wrenches get two, one for holding the top bolt (bolt is installed facing down for safety, in case the nut comes off). I used one 17mm wrench and an adjustable to hold the other, worked too. There'll be two fasteners to remove. If you're lightweight like me you won't need to raise the car up, just crawl underneath it.
:eek::eek::eek:I can't even believe this is possible.

My head fits under the car if I keep it sideways. Starting at my collar bone, nothing else fits under there ... well my legs do, but what help is that.:D

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I removed my Steering Damper with no ill effects at least not at speeds 70 mph and below.
Removing it made it easier to turn the Steering Wheel at slow speeds like when paralell parking.

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
I removed my Steering Damper with no ill effects at least not at speeds 70 mph and below.
Removing it made it easier to turn the Steering Wheel at slow speeds like when paralell parking.
Mine is already easy to turn at low speeds even with a new one on. In fact it's lighter than the W124 steering which feels heavy. Checked the condition of your P/S fluid yet?

Noticed you're from SoCal as well. Why don't you join our meet? :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
when it stops :)

LOL... Being that you east coast fellers are much...much stronger than us girlie-men in California; when it stops for you it will be nice and tight, when it stops for me it will be almost ready to fall off. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts