Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my rack and pinion but cant attach steering column coupling to the rack. Any ideas of how i can spread It to fit on rack.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon: 130,000 miles
98 Posts
Sorry. I answered your question incorrectly on your other post. Getting the steering column coupling onto the rack is the hardest part of the entire installation. Obviously, you should spread the coupling as far as possible but very difficult due to such close working space. I loosened the rack (I had already tightened all of the bolts so backed off all of them to basically try to get the rack as loose as possible but not stress the fluid lines) so that it can "square up" as best as possible. This helped a great deal. I think the problem is in the angle of the two as removing the coupling can be easily done by small hand force on this new connection. I sprayed silicon, a little grease, made sure grooves were aligned, aligned the angle of two and just worked on it for a length of time. It was very difficult to bottom the last 1/8" between the coupling and the plastic alignment tool, so tapped with hammer and it seated. The coupling/rack spindle must bottom to the plastic alignment tool for the bolt to fit correctly and lock in the groove on the rack spindle. Good luck. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. I answered your question incorrectly on your other post. Getting the steering column coupling onto the rack is the hardest part of the entire installation. Obviously, you should spread the coupling as far as possible but very difficult due to such close working space. I loosened the rack (I had already tightened all of the bolts so backed off all of them to basically try to get the rack as loose as possible but not stress the fluid lines) so that it can "square up" as best as possible. This helped a great deal. I think the problem is in the angle of the two as removing the coupling can be easily done by small hand force on this new connection. I sprayed silicon, a little grease, made sure grooves were aligned, aligned the angle of two and just worked on it for a length of time. It was very difficult to bottom the last 1/8" between the coupling and the plastic alignment tool, so tapped with hammer and it seated. The coupling/rack spindle must bottom to the plastic alignment tool for the bolt to fit correctly and lock in the groove on the rack spindle. Good luck. I hope this helps.
Thanks this is the answer i was looking for. Its taking me longer to do this than the rest of the swap. Also what did you use to spread it, hard to get any leverage under the car.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon: 130,000 miles
98 Posts
My experience exactly. I ended up using an old blunt, thicker screw driver. However, it will only spread a specific distance and I was concerned with breaking the end of the coupling. I tried to "rig" a bolt with a nut in the middle of the slot and on the end but it didn't work well as there is really so little room. Working to get a "straighter" angle between the two parts seemed to help the most...and the hammer. Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 W210
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My experience exactly. I ended up using an old blunt, thicker screw driver. However, it will only spread a specific distance and I was concerned with breaking the end of the coupling. I tried to "rig" a bolt with a nut in the middle of the slot and on the end but it didn't work well as there is really so little room. Working to get a "straighter" angle between the two parts seemed to help the most...and the hammer. Good luck.
Thanks this ended up being all i needed to do. Now I have to find a replacement banjo bolt(over torqued ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts