Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Connecting up the steering coupling to the steering box splines,how far forward does the coupling push onto the steering box shaft splines
There are two splined sections , in the pic i have gripped the first section should the coupling go all the way to the second splined section,if so how is this achieved ss i tapped slowly from inside the car but it refuses to go any further

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
491 Posts
The coupling bolt hole should be at the groove on the shaft spline. Is it tight on the steering box shaft? Has the coupling been backed on the other shaft?

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are yo saying it should go approx another 10mm forward so it covers the groove in the pic
it will not move any further down, i tapped the steering shaft lightly from within the car and it stopped where it is but does not want to move any further, withput the bolt in it has gripped the steering box shaft
need to gt this right as its the steering dont want the car wandering off after all the hard work i have put into it

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
491 Posts
The bolt should keep the coupling from sliding free from the spline. Is the spline identical all round the box shaft or is there an uncut place to index it with the coupling?

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as in the pic the coupling has sid over the first section of splines, then there is the groove and then the next sectio of splines
if i were trying to get to the next set of splines i would need another 1.5 inch of movement forward,

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your origional question the steering box shaft spline section was the same all around no cut out in the splines

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
470 Posts
I just had a look at my W126 and yes it does need to slide further on to the steering shaft. Remember these cars have a collapsible column and the inner shaft is probably pushed up inside the outer shaft somewhat or binding on the splines a bit, so try using a pry baron on the rag joint and pry a little on either side of the joint to get it to slide further on to the spline, from the pic you have room to get on the joint and pry it forward.

·
Registered
1977 450 SEL 6.9
779 Posts
Yes as others have stated you must have the lower bolt slide easily into the groove between the splines. This is a safety feature to lock the 2 components together. You will need to come down a fair bit for that to happen.

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,368 Posts
DO NOT DRIVE IT THE WAY IT IS IN THE PHOTO! I'VE SEEN THE RESULTS AND IT ISN'T PRETTY!!!

The bolt must go through the groove between the two splined sections.

kevdupuis is probably correct in that the collapsible shaft is partially collapsed. It should slip right on, but if the shaft is too short then it will get cocked and bind up. Sometimes, when they were really reluctant, we would unbolt the whole column from the dash, install the coupler, then rehang the column. Maybe not practical on the complex column used here.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tapped it from inside of the car where there is another coupler shaft it moved down but stopped where it is now
Dont want to hit it to hard incase it damages it

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bolt should keep the coupling from sliding free from the spline. Is the spline identical all round the box shaft or is there an uncut place to index it with the coupling?
The coupling needs to be centered over groove. Bolt will not go thru if it isn’t. Also, holds the coupling in shaft.
U should have a reference mark where to line up coupling to shaft.
U can open coupling up some by wedging a screw driver or washer in Split

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys all sorted opened the wedge and knocked the shaft forward from inside the car steering seems to have gone a little to the right despite centering the box using the correct tool
Hope this has no effect on the indicators cancelling

1 - 12 of 12 Posts