Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

So since my car is in bits due to respray, and the delay incured due to COVID-19 lockdown, I'm toying with the idea of pulling steering box to replace seals & gaskets, and replacing the steering coupler. A question for those who BTDT:

1) Is steering coupler p/n A1154600510? That seems to be the prevalent number for R107 chassis regardless of year or engine.
2) From what I can see underneath the steering box p/n starts with 116 463 or 116 461, the last four digits are obscured due to dirt - I've had a quick search and EPC only mentions 107 460 18 01 for RHD (17 01 is LHD), just curious if anyone came across that? My gut tells me that at some point 116 was superseded with 107 naming convention, but would sure like a confirmation before I pull it and get myself into trouble :D

Advice and feedback appreciated, as always - thanks!

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
211 Posts
Hi Mikolaj,
I puchased my new steering coupler here (3 years ago):

Type AT46LK - it's suitable for all R/C107. This price is for an exchange, but for 15€ more you don't need to ship back your old part.
Martin

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Martin, do you know if that is a reconditioned MB part or their reproduction? Doesn't make sense for me to ship mine as it would cost around 15€.😑

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry, I don't know. You need to contact them anyway, so just ask.
I decided to buy this one because it's not caulked like the original one. So you could change the nylon-bushings one day without buying the whole thing new.
Martin

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,196 Posts
Its definitely not MB. But cool concept, a steering coupler you can rebuild. Last time I purchased a new one from MB it came through with internal torx bolts instead of internal hex.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Martin and Roncallo. Question is, how often would you replace the coupler again? Looking at mine it seems it's been there for ages - maybe original - and the car has just about 1" play.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I think I will never need to do this again...
I used to think that. But now I'm starting to relies I have had the car 16 years now and some of the parts I replaced when I got it were 16 years old and shot. Im sure I should get a new set of engine mounts. So much for rolling restorations.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah... if not forever, then at least for eternity.
1h ago I decided to go on my back underneath the car and unscrew the steering coupler....
I'm on the way to find out where this rattling noise in the steering column comes from and I'm not able to take off the bracket with the bearing, so I need to take off the whole shaft - damned!

By the way: I saw this special type of coupler (with the two plastic-bushings) somewhere in the EPC. Unfortunately I can't remember which type or model, but I'm pretty sure that this is very closed to an older MB-design.

...and 16 years are a very long time for the engine mounts. During that surgery you should renew the subframe-mounts as well.

Regards Martin

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Yeah... if not forever, then at least for eternity.
1h ago I decided to go on my back underneath the car and unscrew the steering coupler....
I'm on the way to find out where this rattling noise in the steering column comes from and I'm not able to take off the bracket with the bearing, so I need to take off the whole shaft - damned!

By the way: I saw this special type of coupler (with the two plastic-bushings) somewhere in the EPC. Unfortunately I can't remember which type or model, but I'm pretty sure that this is very closed to an older MB-design.

...and 16 years are a very long time for the engine mounts. During that surgery you should renew the subframe-mounts as well.

Regards Martin
Here in lies the problem of not doing everything all at the same time. Sub frame mounts are only about 8 years old and in great shape.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here in lies the problem of not doing everything all at the same time. Sub frame mounts are only about 8 years old and in great shape.
... so you know what's coming up in 8 years.
We were just talking about eternity, with this methode your subframework will be final.
Martin

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
... so you know what's coming up in 8 years.
We were just talking about eternity, with this methode your subframework will be final.
Martin

Have you tried them. Any feedback. Years ago BMW gave us a temporary fix for the 750 suspension. I believe it was for the control arm bushings. It was to fill them with PU. It wouldn't last very long but its what we were instructed to do until BMW could come up with a real fix. I will pass until someone post some long term experience with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi roncallo, sorry for my late respone - it was a long day. When you read the thread you will find my experience starting in the middle.
But I built my own ones. The pictures are before the change and from today (almost 4 years later) - so up to today the DIY-reinfocement is working well. The last pics show my DIY-parts.
Guys from our German site are riding the parts for SL-Edition.de since more then 8 years and report still good condition as well.

Regards Martin

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Martin_fromGermany - Thank you for putting me in touch with A.I. Motors. I've to admit that the reconditioned part looks better than brand new MB parts, in some cases! I'm also rebuilding the steering box, I can't wait to get the old lady back on the road!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi friends, here you will find a very good description with a lot of pics.
An additional information (just translate with google)
Please note the advices in this thread at positon 7, because these hints will make it a lot easier. The abbreviation "LG" means "Lenkgetriebe = steering box" and of course you will get some funny translation results, but you will make it anyway.
For reassembling the central locking screw which tightens the bearing of the steering pivot it's much smarter to mark the position before unscrewing and rewind it after changing the seal exactly up to this point. The described way (starting at step 14) in the (first) linked DIY is not very safe and effektive.
Belive me!
Cheers Martin

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jim, I was going to but Martin saved the day; I'll follow those, it will likely be next week though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts