Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't turn my keys. I though it might have been the tumbler like my 190, but I guess that didn't fixed the problem. I still cannot turn the key easily. Maybe 1 out of 10 tries will it work. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
240D
7 Posts
You say "it might have been the tumbler"... did you replace the lock?

I have had problems with juggling key position and overcoming steering lock bolt tension due to having aftermarket keys not PRECISELY cut for the lock. Sometimes it seems like the lock is just immobile and I will apply the exact combo of gentle turning of key, less gentle turning of steering, and wiggle up and down of the lock and "VOILA!" the key turns like a charm.

My son has this happen to him often because he uses the steering wheel as a support when exiting the car, and he rotates the steering wheel to the lock position, then lets go. The rubber wheels leave just enough tension on the steering lock to make it harder to pull out... makes it feel like the key just doesn't work. You have to peek out at the tire, turn toward the direction the wheel is turned, then start jiggling the key... works for me in seconds every time.

I am going to lube the steering lock bolt soon.... just pull the instrument panel and you will see the lock on the right. I am not sure how to get that lube where I want it, but I will find a way. Good luck !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts