Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C230 coupe
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if all the W163 steering columns are interchangable throughout the 1998-2005 run? I have some rattling in my 2000 MY nand was looking for a replacement. It's not always easy to find the same year used part so I was just wondering if I could use one from say a 1998 or even one from a 2005. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,038 Posts
The answer to your question is yes but only with the column itself. Anything, which includes the clock spring, combination switch, cruise switch, transponder, lock housing and lock and key, are all different between years. The biggest problem you might face is with the steering angle sensor. If you intend on getting a used column, there will be no guarantee that it will be serviceable and you will not know that until the assembly of the column is fully completed. Then if the Steer. Angle Sen. is bad, the entire column has to be remove to service it.

Not knowing what the problem is or what noise you are having within the column, but I would investigate its' source before buying a used column or even a new one for that matter. The noise or problem could be related to the steering rack.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,038 Posts
Are the steering racks prone to loosening and allowing the column to rattle?
No not really. They do not just come loose like that, unless previous work was done and the bolts weren't tightened. The same goes for the steering column.

You havn't described your problem (noise), whether or not it happens while turning or happens going over bumps, but what I would suggest is that you remove the cover below the steering column and have a look see. There could be something else not related to the steering column causing the noise.

·
Registered
2000 ML 320 and 2015 GLK 250
26 Posts
I have the same problem. the machanic try to tight it but is the coloum problem. the new will cost arount 800 CND. plus labour. I leave it not repaired yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm at a similar stand still 2004 ML350. broken key not reachable inside the cylinder coils.
Mercedes dealership has not quoted me yet except for it would be expensive and they need to see it my mechanic who works on Imports said he wants to drill the cylinder out from behind and then I'd have to order a few parts.
As you all were talking about I'm thinking about just orderin a w163. During column replacing that even if I have to use two sets of keys for the car one for ignition and one for doors.
swapping steering column doesn't seem fully supported here in this forum I figured it'd be the most economical and shortest labor hours tell me what you think
everywhere I look at says that the steering columns are interchangeable between certain years and or makes

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,085 Posts
JL

Are you saying the key broke in the ignition cylinder?

And part of the blade is still in the cylinder?

If so by inserting the other half of the key can the cylinder turn?

That you have no other steering issue?

You may want to look at this for cylinder replacement idea.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,353 Posts
This is going on for some time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
JL

Are you saying the key broke in the ignition cylinder?

And part of the blade is still in the cylinder?

If so by inserting the other half of the key can the cylinder turn?

That you have no other steering issue?

You may want to look at this for cylinder replacement idea.

hey WallyO, I guess the correct term is tumblers the broken half of the key's up in the Tumblr supposedly and the locksmith couldn't get it out. I seem to have a few choices one bring it to the Mercedes dealer and be at their mercy for payment. To my mechanic said yes he can do it works on imports but he would have to remove all the parts and he wants to drill the ignition cylinder from the back to get the key out and then I probably have to purchase A new ignition housing and ignition lock cylinder because those will both be broken in the process. 'He quoted me $700 just for labor, but at one point said i may just want to get a new steering column, just would have two different keys then, one for doors* ignition.
My third and fourth choices I feel one of them I saw here in BenzWorld somebody said I could just get a die grinder and grind off that pin/nipple on the cylinder (which is 'part of antitheft toward the back end of cylinder) and inserting a screwdriver or whatever but once that nipple is released it would allow the key to be turned the cylinder to be turned and removed then I will just have to get the whole new one.
My idea was to just get a new steering column because of the verbal buildup let me know what would be the simplest most feasible I love the car I don't want to be spending it almost as much as I paid for it for a simple mistake
I hate to see seem like I'm re-posting but these are all different ideas do you know when the one who has experience and just removing the cylinder on a 2004 ML 350

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,085 Posts
So in other word you can not get the cylinder to position 1 for removal?

And if you can the tumbler wafers are messed up and would prevent standard removal?

Your biggest issue I see is if you replace the column with used you are still going to need a matching key, to either get the cylinder out or to use the existing lock.

It is very rare that I see keys with steering column I my neck of the woods at a parts yard.

I am not that knowledgeable on the cylinders, never did one on an ml. But I don’t see why it can’t be drilled out from the front.

If someone has a reason why please post it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WallyO you like myself believes that. my import mechanic just says to drill it from the front and he regurgitates the known he says you have to go slow blah blah blah it's going to overheat the drill and he's afraid that he'll just break the plastic housing from the vibration. But in saying that he wants to drill it from the back side is saying that he would break the housing that way anyways. to he seems a little conflicting but he is and has done other drill outs just not Mercedes. That's the main thing he says if he drills it out from the front he's afraid it'll just break the housing.
He is waiting on my reply so I am weighing the options. Walio do you think a simple drill out from the front and removal of the lock cylinder is enough oh I mean would describe this. Or are there other security features such as drilling off the pin or nipple from the back side I feel it's just a simple drill in turn to position 1 he saying he feels there may be other security measures that Mercedes (04 ml350) installed
I'm going to get the job done I'm just trying to figure out if I should just leave him to his own devices because he's also waiting on my reply on what to do
I just don't know where the $700 in labor comes from
yes I know. You have to drill slow and not let it overheat, but is it 7 hours I don't think so
I'm curious as to what Mercedes Dealership would say

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,085 Posts
Is the car drivable it can not start? Because 700.00 is I think way way too much! I would order a cylinder and matching key ( look at what Bobby did in the link I gave). Then call to locksmith. I think even if you have it towed it will cost a lot less. Hell If I did not want to do it my self and did not want to pay towing I push it out to the straet and call a moble smith.

In drilling you start with a small bit 1/8 and work up from their less material removed less heat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the car drivable it can not start? Because 700.00 is I think way way too much! I would order a cylinder and matching key ( look at what Bobby did in the link I gave). Then call to locksmith. I think even if you have it towed it will cost a lot less. Hell If I did not want to do it my self and did not want to pay towing I push it out to the straet and call a moble smith.

In drilling you start with a small bit 1/8 and work up from their less material removed less heat.
Right thanks for all your input. So just to clarify he just Has to drill it from the front and of course just loosen it with the screwdriver once you can turn it up to the right. If he drills it from the front only then he doesn't need to go behind it and hack off the lock pin/ nipple? or get to any other security measures he could just do it all from the front?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right thanks for all your input. So just to clarify he just Has to drill it from the front and of course just loosen it with the screwdriver once you can turn it up to the right. If he drills it from the front only then he doesn't need to go behind it and hack off the lock pin/ nipple? or get to any other security measures he could just do it all from the front?
trying to find Bobby- link

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,085 Posts
JL was just at a salvage yard where someone tore apart the steering column of an ml. The cylinder and ignition switch sit in a bracket that is hinged like a clamp appears to be in place by a rolled spring pin at the top.

One should be able to remove the bracket and work on the cylinder on the bench in worst case if the bracket is damaged that is all you need to replace. Sorry my phone went dead or I would of taken photos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is dam* useful. Don't know if you know how much this means. So looks like I'm lookin at just removal and replacement of the cylinder due to the broken half of key being non- extractable
Thanks for being on my side WallyO

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,353 Posts
In worst case you will have to replace steering lock housing. 163 462 00 30.

2019-10-29_171747.png

1 - 20 of 20 Posts