Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, i turned it lock to lock with the engine off (very carefully) and then with the engine running. The good news is the clunk has gone but i now have the 2 warning messages.

W220 Moderator
Hi,

In that case, you have done the Steering Angle Sensor Reset procedure ...................

So with those messages, it is likely, (but not certain), you have broken the SAS Clockspring Ribbon Cable, but it "just may be" because the Steering Wheel is off centre......................

If your Steering Wheel Buttons and Horn are not working, it is a certainty that it is broken ....................

If they are working first get the Car Tracked before using SDS to confirm and then buying an expensive part.

I'm not absolutely certain but IIRC once the Lock to Lock reset is done they drive ok without messages even if the Steering Wheel is squint !!

Other Memberss with a squint Steering Wheel may be able to confirm or refute this, I see hundreds of Cars a month some drive with Wheel off centre with no messages and some don't so I'm not 100% certain.

HTH,

Registered
I replaced my steering wheel about two weeks ago...
it is permissible to re-position and rotate the steering wheel one spline in order to correct a slant when driving straight ahead.
Any more than that and you can have trouble with turn signal cancellation.
Steering wheel bolt torque is 80 Nm.
Good luck man ,,,sounds like you deserve some,,

W220 Moderator
He could use some luck yes.

Aligning the front Tracking is needed here as the Car has just had Rack Replaced :wink

All things being equal, (i.e. a Garage muppet mechanic hasn't screwed up the Alignment), you should never need to install the Steering Wheel anywhere other than the "Straight Ahead" marking on the Column Splined Shaft. That is the position it is designed to be in.

This guy has bought a rebuilt Rack that had the pinion shaft put together 180 degrees out which is where all the trouble has started :(

Registered
I've been watching this thread because, a few weeks ago my W220 S500 rack was making noises so my indy, who was in the US Army and worked on everything they have that has wheels, replaced my rack with a re-manufactured one. Part was a few hundred dollars and labor about 400. He did take a piece off the pinion shaft and put it on the opposite way, which I would never have known what I was looking at, but once all back together, it was perfect. This guy is a pretty good mechanic, he's replaced motor mounts and tranny mounts on my W163 ML SUV and my W220 S500, and what ever I don't wanna do on my cars, I have him do. So if replacing a steering rack, I guess the pinion can be put on two ways, either correct, or 180 degrees the opposite way. Something to watch out for when replacing these steering racks. Maybe this only occurs if you get a rebuilt one?
So Dave, are you saying that front alignment should be done anytime when the steering rack has been replaced? The car does feel tracking very slightly different, so if it will make it perfect then I will get an alignment. Best of luck to everyone!!!

W220 Moderator
Yes definitely, your guy is probably clued up enough to do as I do and count the turns off and on on each Track Rod End, but even then it will need Tracking as it will be off a little, which will very quickly scrub tyre edges ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
They were able to do the alignment and the warning messages have gone out.

The garage said that the car needs some new bushings but the car doesn't have any suspension clunks or bangs the bushings will have to wait a bit.

Thanks for all the help with the steering.

W220 Moderator
Glad to hear that it's sorted :) .......................

Now go buy a lottery ticket, you are on a roll :grin

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
update rebuilt rack is leaking

The only luck i have at the moment is bad luck.....

The rebuilt steering rack is leaking at the cv joint boot. Detroit axle are sending a replacement under warranty but of course nothing to compensate me for my time or expensive CHF 11S fluid.

I sent my original rack to them so that they could rebuild it, hopefully i don't get that one back as it was clunking and not leaking, so i suspect it wasn't rebuildable.

Gareth

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
The New (rebuilt) rack came in and i installed it. It appears to be ok, fingers crossed. Midas at 9550 N 90th St Suite A-2, Scottsdale, AZ 85258 did the 4 wheel alignment the first time for $44 and I took the car back to them to do another alignment as the new rack caused the alignment to be out and.... guess what...... they did the alignment for free under warranty... WOW.

Anyone in the area that needs some work doing should give midas in Scottsdale a try.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
5 Participants
gpjlytham
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing