Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here undertaken this task? The one in my SD is leaking out the reservoir over the course of two weeks and I've got a great steering gear that's been sitting on the bench for almost two years. I figure it might be worth my while to do it BEFORE I install it and it begins leaking.

Any good/bad stories?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Has anyone here undertaken this task? ..
No, I cheated and took the box out of my parts car and used it. However, I do have the reseal kit and these great instructions. What scared me off was the last few steps which calls for making adjustment and torque setting and the like.

How to reseal a MB steering gear

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
If it's the seal on the pitman shaft out the bottom, it's a DIY and can be done in the car.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I'm sticking all kinds of stuff in a storage unit to give myself room to work :) Great link markusfmeyer! Nice to see the progress on frankenbenz Mike. I'm thinking I'd be better served to swap the box and get crisp steering along with no leaks :) Check your pm's 420se. I need sunshine and beer.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I re-seal the entire box and have done enough of them now that I don't find it daunting. The first few were a bit nerve racking and I didn't get the adjustment quite right on the first one. With practice you get a better feel:)

That aside, if you have an afternoon one weekend you Should be able to get it done:)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As far as the steering pump, it's not that bad. The steering box is another story. It seems they will generally leak from the shaft bearing seal which means there is too much wear to the bearings. I just installed a reman unit (steering gear box) and the leaks are gone. After 20 years and 123k miles it wasn't that bad of a job. Make sure you read the installation notes regarding timing the box to center via a special truncated bolt. Set the steering column to center and even let it go into steering lock. It worked for me.

You will more than likely need to have the toe set since even being off one tooth on the pitman arm will be quite drastic.

Regards,

·
Registered
885 Posts
My 300SD PS gearbox was leaking a couple years ago and I had a non-MB shop to fix it, it was a total nightmare - they tightened it up too much and steering wheel was hard to turn. After couple times back and forth with them, finally I bought one from a junkyard for $60 and put it on myself. More than often it's much easier to swap than fix I found.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts