Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
W107 500SL. 300CE-24 1990 1988xjs Jag
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to remove the steering box on my 300CE24 sportline and i am having trouble getting access to the bolt securing the coupling to the steering column I have unscrewed all the heat shields and removed two of them but the big one I can't get out because of the exhaust pipes.

Do I have to disconnect and drop the exhaust pipe to remove the heatshield to gain access to the coupling bolt or is there another way

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks Rob

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,529 Posts
Rob is this a W124 ? if so you need this but to get the free manual you will have to use Google search in the search box put ---- Model 124 Maintenance Manual Index
And yes looks like the silencer crossover pipe will need removing to exit the steering box.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob is this a W124 ? if so you need this but to get the free manual you will have to use Google search in the search box put ---- Model 124 Maintenance Manual Index
And yes looks like the silencer crossover pipe will need removing to exit the steering box.
Hi Pinkler
Yes it's a W124 with the M104 motor.I have printed out the section from the 124 maintenance manual and my car being RHD complicates matters. There is no cross over pipe on my car the problems I have is with the heat shields around the steering box which prevent me getting to the bolts on the coupling.The only way to remove the heat shield that I can see is to drop the front of the exhaust.
It was only when I looked at the manual that I realized 95% of people on this forum have LHD so they wouldn't have any idea what I'm talking about I apologize for being so dumb But thanks for your help
Rob

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,529 Posts
I looked in my Haynes Beano ha ha , and i can see nothing in the way like heat shield .You dont need to remove silencer only ball joints and to clamp fluid hoses .But one thing is,, the arm on the steering box needs to go back in the exact same place on the pinion .So you must measure from the end of the box to the arm keep the size for assembly .Also steering wheel must be kept in one place and must not be turned .Rufus nothing in the manual to tell you that the heat shield to say it needs removing . I have a right hand drive but with M103 lump in it .

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rufus look for one bolt at the top of heat shield by the s/ box and one at the bottom, top one is a bolt ,,bottom one is a self tapper .
Hey Pinkler
On my car I have three heat shields. I have managed to remove two of them and have undone the fixings on the third but this one I can't get out because the exhaust pipes are in the way and this is the heat shield that covers the coupling.

I to use Haynes and in 10.17 23 paragraph it states "on some models it will be necessary to unbolt the heat shield to gain access to the coupling" just my luck to have one of those models

If I bend the heat shield a little I may be able to access the lower coupling bolt and then if I remove the three bolts holding the box in place I may be able to slide the box down and forward off the coupling. If this doesn't work the only other option I can see is to drop the front of the exhaust and remove the heat shield.

I will let you know how I go if you like

Cheers Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts