Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a peculiar problem: my car feels floaty at times, usually on the highway when driving at higher speeds. It is not consistent, seems noticeable on the southbound side of the road... I took it to the mechanic (independent German shop) whom told me it is the control arm, or to be exact, they need to replace the control arm so they could assess the problem better. I was unhappy with the assessment and took it to another mechanic whom I trust. He did not feel the control arm was to blame and said something about my steering box.
My steering wheel has some play in it, ever since I bought it ut it could be a tad more. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,756 Posts
Since we aren't your preferred german mechanic shop and don't have the benefit of actually seeing/driving the in the "south bound lane", it sure would help if you would provided some basic information. With 147K on the clock, have you ever had any work done on the front suspension/steering components? The idler arm won't go bad, but the idler arm bushing sure will. Drag link goes bad, tie rods go bad, ball joints go bad. Steering dampner goes bad. Poor tires, bad wheel bearings, rear suspension components... I could go on

Help us help you

Jayare

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jayare, I am surprised you did not have it figured out on the little info I provided : )
The car has 163k on it as of yesterday and now running around in Southern Maine. No front end work to date. Tires are about a year old with less than 10k on them (Kumho Solus KH 16s). The car is awesome -as always. No weird noises or rattles. Used to pull a little to the side but I think that could be from the crown of the road. Will likely end up taking to a dedicated Mercedes shop in the area with good reviews but I thought would try it here in case someone had a similar problem.

Cheers,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts