Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some free-play in my steering box and can't remember how the adjustment goes. I turned the screw out(ccw) as far as it will go and there is still play. Turning it in just seems to make it looser. Any ideas on how to eliminate this free-play, short of replacing the unit? 300TD-T with 225,000 miles.

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
is that a loose steering wheel? mine is pretty lose too.....

is that a loose steering wheel? mine is pretty lose too..

·
Registered
84 300D Euro
44 Posts
Quoted from Spanners when I asked about a front end bow on my 300D...

The play in the ...

Quoted from Spanners when I asked about a front end bow on my 300D...

The play in the steering wheel can be adjusted at the steering box.
It's a long time since i last worked on a w123, but as you look at the steering box from the top, there is a nut about 19mm or 22mm. Slacken the nut off and then i think there is an alan key fittment in the top of the thread.
Hold the nut with the spanner and then turn the alan key clockwise to remove the play.
If its not been adjusted for years, you may need WD40 and elbow grease to get the alan key moving sepeately from the nut.

Don't over adjust it as this will cause the steering to not self centre after turning. It's not a problem but just means you will have to readjust it back.

·
Registered
300TD-T
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the " wheel" itself is not loose, there is just some freeplay in the steering gearbox that should be adjusted out.

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
It's not correct to turn the allen screw clockwise. According to the manual you have turn ...

It's not correct to turn the allen screw clockwise. According to the manual you have turn the allen screw COUNTER-clockwise about a 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Make sure that your wheels are pointed straight ahead and steering wheel is level before making this adjustment. I did this on my '85 300DT with 212,800 miles a couple of weeks ago and it took care of the play that I had.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300D
1,249 Posts
I just checked the steering on my car tonight, turned out all the front end components wer...

I just checked the steering on my car tonight, turned out all the front end components were tight...so I did this adjustment on the steering box. Had to turn the adjustment screw about 1 turn counter clockwise and now the steering is like new! Make sure you make small adjustments at a time, otherwise you could get the steering gear too tight. Couldn't believe the difference though, I'm no longer busy trying to keep the car straight on the freeway!

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I'm glad that I was able to pass on some useful information....

I'm glad that I was able to pass on some useful information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.