Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another steering box question for those that know from experience.

My 140k mile wagon has a lot of slack in the steering at straight ahead position and even more on hard lock.

I jacked up the front with a jack under each wishbone and at each road wheel I can feel a lot of slack when pushing either wheel at left or right.
After checking for ball joint failures in the arms it appears the slack is at the column input shaft to the box.
If I adjust the allen screw outwards the slack begins to disappear but the steering tightens to the point that it would be difficult to drive, as in probably wouldnt return but would need pulled back.

Do I need a replacement box at only 140k?:(

Boyd :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have had my steering box adjusted in the car to MB spec. They are supposed to have a preload - measured by the torque it takes to turn the steering wheel when the steering box is not connected to the steering linkages, from the straight ahead position. There is an MB instruction for this. It does make a difference to the way the steering responds.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have had my steering box adjusted in the car to MB spec. They are supposed to have a preload - measured by the torque it takes to turn the steering wheel when the steering box is not connected to the steering linkages, from the straight ahead position. There is an MB instruction for this. It does make a difference to the way the steering responds.
retorqued. The spec is 70 Nm / 51 foot pounds.

See link for pictures of location: GUIDE
Mercedes Benz CLK Steering Gear Bolts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts