Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I ask a potentially stupid question? Girlfriend's '16 C300 got alignment for new tires (not at MB) and it felt great to me at 55 on the backroads, but she says it is wandering all over the interstate in a straight line at speed. My first thought is the sensor didn't get reset. Is this the turn-to-lock-in-each-direction-procedure then drive 2 miles like I see on Youtube for older MBs? Appreciate any info before I send her to spend another 2 hours with the discount alignment jockey.

PS: their hunter machine couldn't adjust rear camber either, but she has had no uneven tire wear so fingers crossed.

PPS: The gas flap says 36/36, which is what I had her run for the last 2 years on non-runflat Michelins that wore out early. She just put the Conti SSR runflats (OEM) back on it. They had them aired up to 39f/45r when I checked this morning. I have never had her run that before, clearly it says full load calls for 45 and just her is not a full load. When I drove it and it felt fine WAS with the 39/45 unbeknownst to me at the time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why don't you try it at 36/36? I have never heard of a sedan tires having 45 psi.
My initial post is regarding the steering angle sensor - which I have since learned, apparently, the w205 does not have. As I also said, it is at 36/36 - which she has run for 2 years, and which it says in the gas flap. But as I also said in my post, the gas flap also calls for 45 rear at max load. I agree, this sounds excessive.

I had her get it realigned and had the tires re-balanced (2 days after install) and she says it's "better." I need to drive it.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
6,162 Posts
My initial post is regarding the steering angle sensor - which I have since learned, apparently, the w205 does not have. As I also said, it is at 36/36 - which she has run for 2 years, and which it says in the gas flap. But as I also said in my post, the gas flap also calls for 45 rear at max load. I agree, this sounds excessive.

I had her get it realigned and had the tires re-balanced (2 days after install) and she says it's "better." I need to drive it.
Shouldn’t have to reset anything after a wheel alignment. Sounds like the alignment was not done correctly.
I wouldn’t go much above 32 on run flats. Terrible tyres.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn’t have to reset anything after a wheel alignment. Sounds like the alignment was not done correctly.
I wouldn’t go much above 32 on run flats. Terrible tyres.
Not to belabor the point and go off-topic, but the Pilot Sport AS 3+ lasted 20k miles on her car (the same tires lasted 10k on my 4900lb S-class). They wore perfectly evenly, just wore out way too early. She got credit at Discount Tire (like I did) and the combination of current rebates and recommended tires they carry for her car were either Yokohamas or the Continentals. She didn't want Yokos.

The first owner before she bought it CPO got 39k out of the original run-flats based on Carfax history. Double the life of the Michelins + $400 off plus a $70 mail in rebate hard to argue with.

Also, FWIW, if you look at Mercedes-only reviews of the Conti ProContact SSR on Tire Rack (OE spec, what she bought) the 6 reviews up there are actually excellent - I used that as a factor as well. The "overall" ratings are not great on NON-Mercedes cars as far as Tire Rack reviews. I drove the car after and they feel solid as brand-new items so far. We will see but again, PO got double the mileage of her Michelins.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2017 C43 AMG,1929 Victory 6 roadster, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
6,162 Posts
Not to belabor the point and go off-topic, but the Pilot Sport AS 3+ lasted 20k miles on her car (the same tires lasted 10k on my 4900lb S-class). They wore perfectly evenly, just wore out way too early. She got credit at Discount Tire (like I did) and the combination of current rebates and recommended tires they carry for her car were either Yokohamas or the Continentals. She didn't want Yokos.

The first owner before she bought it CPO got 39k out of the original run-flats based on Carfax history. Double the life of the Michelins + $400 off plus a $70 mail in rebate hard to argue with.

Also, FWIW, if you look at Mercedes-only reviews of the Conti ProContact SSR on Tire Rack (OE spec, what she bought) the 6 reviews up there are actually excellent - I used that as a factor as well. The "overall" ratings are not great on NON-Mercedes cars as far as Tire Rack reviews. I drove the car after and they feel solid as brand-new items so far. We will see but again, PO got double the mileage of her Michelins.
We got rid of the run flats after about a month on the C43. No complaints about the wear or grip it was the harsh ride my wife hated. Replaced them with the Michelin pilot sport 4’s. Non run flats and put a puncher kit in the boot. It came with a compressor. The difference to the car is night and day, I will never buy another run flat tyre while I’m alive. You couldn’t give me a set for free to put on the car. The PS4’s are amazing in the wet weather.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got rid of the run flats after about a month on the C43. No complaints about the wear or grip it was the harsh ride my wife hated. Replaced them with the Michelin pilot sport 4’s. Non run flats and put a puncher kit in the boot. It came with a compressor. The difference to the car is night and day, I will never buy another run flat tyre while I’m alive. You couldn’t give me a set for free to put on the car. The PS4’s are amazing in the wet weather.
Ahh, you have 18s, she has 17s on a luxury package. I would imagine those would be harsh with a low profile. FYI, the Pilot Sport 4+ went on my S class 1500 miles ago. Yesterday I was back at the shop for road force balancing. Surprise, they are all in balance. There is ridging/feathering (raised tread) on all 4 tires at the outside. In 1500 miles, my 4900lb properly-aligned S class has ruined another set of Michelins. I have been a Michelin Fanboy for 100 years, but something has changed. That is part of the reason I seconded her Continental preference. In her prior 2017 Passat R-Line lease, on huge 19x8s, the Continental ContiPro Contacts got 38,000 miles and wore evenly. I think I'm going to use my customer sat credit and do the same on my S. Something is awry with Michelin and I don't get it.

My prediction is you will see 20k or less on yours.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Ahh, you have 18s, she has 17s on a luxury package. I would imagine those would be harsh with a low profile. FYI, the Pilot Sport 4+ went on my S class 1500 miles ago. Yesterday I was back at the shop for road force balancing. Surprise, they are all in balance. There is ridging/feathering (raised tread) on all 4 tires at the outside. In 1500 miles, my 4900lb properly-aligned S class has ruined another set of Michelins. I have been a Michelin Fanboy for 100 years, but something has changed. That is part of the reason I seconded her Continental preference. In her prior 2017 Passat R-Line lease, on huge 19x8s, the Continental ContiPro Contacts got 38,000 miles and wore evenly. I think I'm going to use my customer sat credit and do the same on my S. Something is awry with Michelin and I don't get it.

Yes they are staggered 19” on the C43, with low a profile. We have traveled about 15,000km on them so far and they are still really good with even wear. I run Pirelli P Zeros on the ML and your lucky to get 20,000km out of them but they are excellent tyres.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts

So I can tell you the Pirelli PZ4’s are pretty nice on the C43. We hit a big pot hole a few days ago and destroyed the tyre and rim. We could not get a Michelin pilot sport 4 anywhere in Australia. Apparently there is a big shortage of that size. 225/40/19.
We were able to get the Pirelli’s though and ended up having to get 2 to keep them match on the front. We will probably go with them on the back once the Michelins wear out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts