Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, have had my esp/bas &abs lights on and the garage (indy) said its the steering angle sensor on his reader,found on here how to replace it ,but it just says remove this panel, question is how to do this without damage does it just pull off and will I break anything doing that, picture or diagram would be most helpful if you have one. steering angle sensor from MB is a shade under £400 are there any other places to get it cheaper or can it be repaired I'm in the UK as you can see. On a similar note has anyone a picture of the speed sensor as I would like to check this at the same time. Many thanks in advance for your help :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
I always thought the trifecta lights meant the brake light sensor switch was faulty (if you're lucky, as it's about $40).

As to removing the air bag; there are two torx screws on the backside of the steering wheel (take a peek). If you are set on removing the air bag, do a search on this website as you have to take precautions so as not to set it off.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
If you are set on removing the air bag, do a search on this website as you have to take precautions so as not to set it off.
As a saftey precaution, be sure to disconnect the battery before attempting to remove the airbag.

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
used steering angle sensor

steering angle sensor from MB is a shade under £400 are there any other places to get it cheaper or can it be repaired I'm in the UK as you can see. :thumbsup:
Removing the steering wheel can be tough, depending on how much threadlock has been applied to the Allen bolt that fastens it to the shaft. I'm sure there are instructions on doing that in the stickies. I usually soften up the threadlock and use an impact wrench to loosen the steering wheel nut.

I'm getting a crashed '98 in next week; should have the same steering angle sensor as yours (p/n 0005426418 was used from '96 to '02).

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the reply mahunt ,neoken,lighthouse, I will disconnect the battery, its the cover with the arrows on I would like advice on how to remove without any damage does it just pull off:)

·
Registered
1998 SL500, Panoramic Roof, Factory Xenons, Black/Black/Black 2012 GLK350 Black/Beige
126 Posts
You should have two holes on the back of the steering wheel behind the air bag module. There are Torx screws at the bottom of the holes; you'll need a 4" to 6" long T-25 or T-30 Torx bit to reach them (my '98 is T-30, but I've seen others say T-25). Extend your steering column out as far as it will go, and you may have to turn the wheel to get enough clearance to insert the bit to reach them.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should have two holes on the back of the steering wheel behind the air bag module. There are Torx screws at the bottom of the holes; you'll need a 4" to 6" long T-25 or T-30 Torx bit to reach them (my '98 is T-30, but I've seen others say T-25). Extend your steering column out as far as it will go, and you may have to turn the wheel to get enough clearance to insert the bit to reach them.
Many thanks boydm, I will try the torx bits I have as soon as it stops snowing here .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Do not lock the steering wheel upon removal...

Removing the steering wheel can be tough, depending on how much threadlock has been applied to the Allen bolt that fastens it to the shaft. I'm sure there are instructions on doing that in the stickies. I usually soften up the threadlock and use an impact wrench to loosen the steering wheel nut.
Just thought I'd add to this NOT to lock the steering wheel when you are trying to break loose the bolt, or you might jam the steering lock. Hold the steering wheel with your hand while applying torque to the bolt. See the following, excellent thread on what happens if you torture your steering lock, and how to fix the problem: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1592845-ignition-switch-lock-1998-sl.html. Great work, patfarrell, aam, and WarrenC!

Here are the steering wheel removal instructions from the W210 forum: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1290713-photo-diy-steering-wheel-removal.html

-Klaus

[email protected]

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
899 Posts
I agree. Tread carefully with the steering wheel removal!
Not hard, just very important to follow the directions listed above. I've been dealing with my own botched attempt to remove mine for the last week, and it's no fun!
Like Klaus said, do not lock the steering column! Use a little heat (don't melt anything) and an air impact wrench is my best advice. After that, everything is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,165 Posts
When trying to remove the bolt for the steering wheel, some owners have had luck using a 2X4 to block steering wheel to the floorpan. When I removed mine, a little heat and a long breaker bar were adequate.

...and to repeat, don't lock the column. :)

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
I agree. Tread carefully with the steering wheel removal!
Not hard, just very important to follow the directions listed above. I've been dealing with my own botched attempt to remove mine for the last week, and it's no fun!
Like Klaus said, do not lock the steering column! Use a little heat (don't melt anything) and an air impact wrench is my best advice. After that, everything is a piece of cake.
Make sure that you hammer tap on the Allen socket to set it well in the bolt.
Or that can ruin your day or week.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
661 Posts
steering wheel bolt p/n 1269900312

Make sure that you hammer tap on the Allen socket to set it well in the bolt.
Or that can ruin your day or week.
True. Don't even start if your Allen socket isn't in there tightly. Otherwise you'll be drilling out the screw. Been there. The good news is, here's the p/n for those accidents: 1269900312. Current dealer price price $5 - the time wasted is much worse... ;)

-Klaus

[email protected]

·
Registered
1992 SL300-24, 1998 BMW 750iL
701 Posts

I'm getting a crashed '98 in next week; should have the same steering angle sensor as yours (p/n 0005426418 was used from '96 to '02).

Dont mean to hijack this thread guys but PM sent regarding the crashed 98
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts