Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im changing this week, the ball joints, center drag link, right and left tie rods, idler repair kit, streerign shock, and 2 shocks, and 2 guide rod kits. when this is all complete, can i align the car myselve by just lookign at the wheels and adjusting, or is it worth to sent it in to get professionaly done? if so where woudl the best place be, my local mercedes dealership?, thanks for any advise

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
Hello!

It is DEFINITELY worth it to have the alignment professionally done- preferably by someone familiar with Mercedes suspensions. It is not possible to properly align the car "by eye", unless your eye can detect a one-degree difference in angle. Just for reference, one degree is about the angle that the minute hand on a fine watch moves in ten seconds. It is simply not a visible difference.

Changes in the alignment that are very small, or invisible, to the eye can result in a vehicle with very unstable (and unsafe) handling qualities. I would even consider having the car towed to the alignment shop after the repairs are completed.

Have fun, and good luck!

-Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts