Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2007 W211 E320 Bluetec
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Kajtek, if you're changing the chain, it would be nice to see how much the old one streatched. Also I'm curious as to the precautions you took to make sure you fed the chain in without skipping teeth. And finally I have not seen any info in regards to the final step of riveting the chain. I've seen various tools used but there must be some specific torque values one must use to crimp that final chain pin.
Thanks

·
Registered
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD owned since 1990 - still in the family!
98 Posts
.................Anybody wants me to do other test or take a pictures?
Now it is good time.

Yes please do that and post photos!

I have almost 160,000 miles on mine now, and it runs nice & quiet (as far as I know it's all original, except intake manifold cleaning, glow plugs & relay per previous owner).

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
996 Posts
It's really gets into how long the chain is. On a V8, they are very long.. 0.002-3 thousands per link of wear adds up when it's 15 feet of 3/8 chain. The idea is to replace the chain before there is significant wear to the chain and sprockets. At some point, you probably wear through the hardened layer and wear goes up really fast. Sprockets would be a pain and expense to replace.

OM642 has some modern "low friction" chain to improve fuel economy. Doubt you can relate it to a OM648 or any previous diesel.
That's very true, but if maintained properly and friction is kept low on the om642, the chain should last a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but all the reported cases of excessive chain wear and stretch on the OM642 was due to various stages of oil starvation, Correct? Like sludge plugging oil passages and such?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,364 Posts
Hard to tell why thing happens, but my engine, who broke due water consumption seems to be in pretty good shape for 183k miles.
I rebuild turbo, only to find the new bearings give it the same play the old did. Not that much sot that would jam discs.
Intake had some build up, but still far from jamming the swirl flaps, that are reported problem on engines with lower mileage.
Took a peek inside DPF and it is perfectly clean at the top.
So could it be different fuel in different states?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is original tensioner and by the looks of the extension original chain too. No, I don't hear anything yet. At least nothing major. I'll probably take on this repair in the spring along with all 6 injector seal change utilizing Honda copper crush washers (Honda part# 16472-RBD-E00).
Pozdrawiam!
Czarek

21 - 26 of 26 Posts