Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just broke down again in the 240d. what happends is, im cruising along(always on the highway) and the car starts to deccelerate, then dies, i can start it, then it dies again, like it is starved for fuel this has happened before, ive changed the fuel filter, and its fine. its been about 2 months since i last changed them. how long is normal between changes? I am not sure if this problem is bc of the filter or something else....I dont think the car should just stop running like that, no? thanks!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Make sure both the primary and secondary filters are changed. Also if you have an alge inf...

Make sure both the primary and secondary filters are changed. Also if you have an alge infection, it can take out filters constantly. If you see "black" in the first filter, many of these are clear, but some from Mercedes are opaque. If there is an algae infection there is not choice but to at least siphon out the tank and refill adding a biocide. Some people go to marine or heavy equipment places to get the biocide. I use a gallon of regular gas,(the really poison) oxygenated stuff in a full tank.

Some people will take the tank out, clean and refill.
The float will often have trash giving inaccurate
fuel level reading too. Black is a bad sign.

I know the hard way not just change filters but at least siphon the tank. The cost and aggravation of clogged filters adds up all too fast.
John Gregg

·
Registered
83 300TD/97 E320/98 SL500
105 Posts
Hey DFW, question about the gallon of regular gas- does it really work? Have you actually...

Hey DFW, question about the gallon of regular gas- does it really work? Have you actually seen it clean slime out of the system? What about drivability issues?

There's a small problem here in CA- the last time I was over at Performance Products, they were telling me that they would not carry Diesel Doctor any longer because of some EPA reg. If it works, the gallon of gas might be the most feasible alternative.

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Re: Hey DFW, question about the gallon of regular gas- does it really work? Have you actually

Hey DFW, question about the gallon of regular gas- does it really work? Have you actually seen it clean slime out of the system? What about drivability issues?

It will kill the algae, but will leave dead algae to clog filters. It can work as preventative measure.
If the infection is really bad like yours. Siphon as much diesel out of the tank as will come out. Then refill or at least half a tank and reduce the leaded gas to half a gallon. That way when it kills the algae there will be less to clog filters. You still may have to do it again.

We did have a wierd problem on an 85 190D 2.2 one time. Bought with an aftermarket fuel cap, would run 15 to 30 minutes then quit.It ran fine for me to buy it an auction... Put an OEM Mercedes then it was fine.
Took a biblical time span to figure it out. It also had an algae infection.

The good news is after the system is clean fuels filters are a 30K intervel. I carry a set just incase of getting bad fuel at an unknown station but have never had to use them.
John Gregg

·
Registered
2005 MB S430 4Matic
112 Posts
Hey Schnell944, my 1980 240D does the same thing. I think I have a algae infection now t...

Hey Schnell944, my 1980 240D does the same thing. I think I have a algae infection now that I've read this post. I've changed my fuel filters 2 times within 2,000. The first time I changed the filters, I watched and saw how quickly the filter became clogged. I guess it's from the car sitting in a garage for about a year. The car only has 75,000 original miles on it. I think when I clean out the tank I'm going to take out the fuel sender and clean it. Like Omar, shows us here: http://users.vnet.net/w123d/w123d/fuel.htm

Because I know my fuel gauge isn't reading correctly when it starts to go below half a tank.

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, there was black stuff in the clear pre-filter...and from the sound of it, I have be...

hmm, there was black stuff in the clear pre-filter...and from the sound of it, I have been changing my filters waaayyy too often. looks like this is going to be an annoying job.

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, now, since my tank is probably alge infested(changing filters very often, like every 4...

ok, now, since my tank is probably alge infested(changing filters very often, like every 4-8wks) i should siphon the tank, fill the tank half way, then add 1/2 gallon of regular gas? what occtane? or does it not matter? thanks!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Re: ok, now, since my tank is probably alge infested(changing filters very often, like every 4

ok, now, since my tank is probably alge infested(changing filters very often, like every 4-8wks) i should siphon the tank, fill the tank half way, then add 1/2 gallon of regular gas? what occtane? or does it not matter? thanks!
I have used regular unleaded as it is the poison that matters. Took from the lawnmower and minibike gas can
Good luck.
John Gregg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.