Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on this situation?:

1980 300D, each day when I try to start it, the engine barely turns, like it's not getting enough power, and if I keep on trying it weakens to the point that it doesn't turn over. Attach the battery charger:

1)Sometimes the light is yellow indicating the battery needs to be charged, so I charge it, and then it starts right up

2)Sometimes the light is green indicating the battery IS charged, leave the charger on for a little while anyway (because I have no other option), and then it starts right up

The battery is a huge Interstate battery, something like 900 CA and 750 CCA I think, about 1 yr. old. Battery fluid level is fine. When the battery was replaced, my mechanic also replaced the battery cables with an old, used pair, because the first ones were bad. I don't have a volt/ohm/multi-meter. Any thoughts are appreciated!
 

·
Registered
83 240D
Joined
·
7 Posts
Go to Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. They will check/test your electrical system free of charg...

Go to Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. They will check/test your electrical system free of charge.
 

·
Registered
1985 300TD
Joined
·
8 Posts
Volt Meter

Hey-hey!!!,
First, get a voltmeter. They are not expensive, RadioShack sells a few, get a cheap one to start, it will prove useful enough, you'll get a better one later. Less than a tank of No.2 and Anti-Gel.
regards,
Douglas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the battery

Thank you guys for responding. I went to Autozone to get everything checked out, and they said it was the battery. Then I went to Interstate, with the car, but since the battery was charged, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They charged it and said to come back with it if it still has problems. A few days later, same problem, so I went back, they tested it and said it probably needs acid, but I opted for a new battery. I should probably take the advice of getting a voltmeter, and save myself the hassle in the future. Again, thank you both for the advice!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top