Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300SL
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having 2 main problems with 92 300SL, the car doesn't like turning on, and then doesn't like staying on (yes, pretty big problems I know). Anyway, I haven't been dealing with them recently because I was worried they were going to be big $$$ fixes.

Anyway, the engine will normally crank for 2 or 3 seconds before it finally catches and turns over. However, I was on vacation for 2 weeks and when I came back, I turned the key in the ignition and it started up instantly. After parking and leaving it for a while, the same problem with taking 2-3 seconds of cranking was back.

Managed to leave the car alone for 5 days after, started up again first time. Then the same problem once I had left it for a little bit.

Has anyone got any idea why it might work so well after not being started for a few days.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Good god man ! You live in the land of perpetual vacation ! The car is mad because you left it for 2 weeks :D

·
Registered
90 300SL
554 Posts
So it does start and run after cranking a few seconds? My 90-300SL has always done the same thing, I just assumed it was the nature of the CIS-E fuel injection being a mechanical FI. It always starts just takes a few turns. Building pressure sounds like a reasonable explanation.

In the attached pdf (pg3) talks about 3-4 seconds starting is normal

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts