Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Starting Problem, please help.

1571 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Greg in Oz
Dear friends,

I am driving a Mercedes 190-E 1987 model. Everytime I am trying to start my car, it's taking long long selfs and I have to pump the excelerator. I have chaged the Fuel pump - Relay and Plugs, but the problem is still there. The other problem I am facing is my car is burning engine oil, every 18-20 days I have to put engine oil. Can anyone help me?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Poor starting & Burning oil

Nawaid

It sounds to me like the Thermo time switch (engine temperature sensor) is not working. Its situated at the front of the head on the right as you look at the engine. It is cheap to buy and just screws in.

Don't be confused with the temperature gauge inside the car, that works off a different sensor.

The oil burning is probably worn valve stem oil seals. The head does not have to come off to replace the seals, as MB have a specail tool that allows them to be done in situ and it only takes 2 hours at most. Take it to an MB specailist who has the tool.

If the car has very high miles, it could be more serious i.e. valve guides or even piston rings.

· Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,253 Posts
or maybe the oil-burning is because you have a broken headgasket. my 190E 2.0 has the sa...

or maybe the oil-burning is because you have a broken headgasket. my 190E 2.0 has the same problem: not easy starting, oil burning... it has a broken headgasket.

matteus

· Registered
Mercedes190 E 1987
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your advice, I will buy Thermo time switch and replace it, I hop...

Thank you very much for your advice, I will buy Thermo time switch and replace it, I hope it will solve the problem.

· Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
687 Posts
Also check the OVP relay

Also check the over-voltage protection relay and its associated fuse. It is with the ECU behind the plastic panel behind the battery. Some years ago I had a 180E (190E 1.8) that was difficult to start when cold. Its idle speed was also a bit variable. I found the OVP fuse had failed. With it replaced it was a different car. Without it, the car runs without the ECU in limp mode (ie. mechanical injection and mixture control only).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.