Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML430
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I Have just started to have a small issue with my 2001 ML430.

It has had trouble starting the last few days. I called out road side assistance and it started straight away for him!! he said maybe is flat batteries in remote so was still immobilising car, anyway changed them and it did it again today. I reckon I have narrowed it down to an electrical glitch somewhere as with the ignition ON it wont allow you to move the gear selector. I think this maybe my problem as it thinks car is not in Park and wont let it start. has any one else had/heard of problem like this?? Is there any relays or anything associated with the gear selection?? or could this be an ignition barrell problem?? Any help be greatly appreciated as it is only intermittent problem and dont want to waste hundreds leaving it at a dealer to try and troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Hi, I Have just started to have a small issue with my 2001 ML430.

It has had trouble starting the last few days. I called out road side assistance and it started straight away for him!! he said maybe is flat batteries in remote so was still immobilising car, anyway changed them and it did it again today. I reckon I have narrowed it down to an electrical glitch somewhere as with the ignition ON it wont allow you to move the gear selector. I think this maybe my problem as it thinks car is not in Park and wont let it start. has any one else had/heard of problem like this?? Is there any relays or anything associated with the gear selection?? or could this be an ignition barrell problem?? Any help be greatly appreciated as it is only intermittent problem and dont want to waste hundreds leaving it at a dealer to try and troubleshoot.
First off the batteries in the remote have nothing to do with starting the truck. Their only purpose is to control the central locking and cancel the anti-theft alarm.

Your problem could be that you have some sort of drain on your battery and that is why you cannot move the shifter or start the truck.

·
Registered
2001 ML430
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info mate. I dont think its a drain on the battery as you can still turn it over and it has plenty of oomph, it just sounds like it is still immobilised and wont start. Then when it does start everything is working A-OK.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
If the battery/ charging system goes below 11 volts, very few things will work properly. You could have enough voltage to turn the eng. over but not enough to start. That is why when roadside came, he boosted the voltage over the 12v mark.

When the event occurs, do not keep cranking. Go to the battery and with a volt meter read the voltage at the battery.

·
Registered
2001 ML430
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tested battery and is all good. Have just been doing a bit of searching and might try the replacing the brake light switch but I don't think this is really my problem as it seems more of a shifter issue than a starting one. Will report back, if any one else got some ideas please let me know still a bit of a noob when it comes to my ML :p

·
Registered
2001 ML430
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well ignition barrel locked up completely yesterday to the point that key would not turn at all :crybaby2: Off to dealer tomorrow to fix it as no local mechanic would touch it - not looking forward to final bill though LOL

·
Registered
2001 ML430
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New barrel is in, just got to wait 4-6 weeks to get a second key blade now :rolleyes: computer also spat out a fault in crank angle sensor so will tackle that in few weeks then hopefully no more starting issues :)

·
Registered
2001 ML430
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced CPS so far so good - hopefully no more pushing it off the road waiting for it to restart lol, oh and quite an easy job on right hand drive vehicles :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts