Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 E320. Yesterday tried to start (supermarket carpark), starter motor cranked engine as normal, motor didn't start, just kept cranking. Switched off for minute or so, tried again started fine. Same thing happened later in the day. Doesn't sound like battery but tested it anyway using posts under hood. All off: 12.5 volts, ignition on 12.2v, lights on 11.95v. Sounds electrical/spark problem. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,186 Posts
Could be a fuel pump issue. But if it starts at first try, after an overnight, it probably is not. Could be related to fuel injector leak (when the engine is fully warmed up, when attempting to start). If you have a scan tool, check the rpm when the car is cranking. It should give you some clue re: crankshaft position sensor condition.

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mrboca, thanks for quick reply. I don't have a scan tool.
Is looking more like a fuel issue. Just went out and tried it again after vehicle sitting in garage all night. Cranked without starting. Switched off, tried again and it started. My inexpert opinion: initial cranking pressurised fuel, second crank with fuel pressure enabled a start. Does this sound reasonable? Is this a sign of injector leak? If so, what needs to be done? I guess check injectors for seal leaking.

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should have mentioned, has only done 90,000km = 54,000mls.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
Well, it may well be the fuel delivery issue, or some flaky electronics (bad contacts causing intermittent connections which are harder to pinpoint without a scanner tool). If it did not start after a long crank, after overnight rest, I would be suspicious of the check valve in the fuel pump, not keeping the fuel line pressurized over a long period of time. If your car starts in the first try consistently, after overnight sleep, this would eliminate the check valve issue. Then there is intermittent fuel pump relay operation, which is due to flaky electronics, in the K40 relay module, or the fuel pump relay itself.

When the engine is warmed up, and the a start attempt is made within a short period of time after the engine is turned off, a leaky fuel injector can douse the hot cylinder enough for the plug not to spark. In this case, the cranking will not reach the critical rpm to start the car.

There are ways to check the fuel pump and fuel injectors. To check the fuel pump you need a fuel gauge that you can borrow.

STAR TekInfo

You can do test 1.0, by removing the injectors, and check for leakage with ignition ON. You are dealing with flammable stuff, so you need to be very careful.

for fuel pump check valve test and fuel injector leak :
STAR TekInfo

As I said you need a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel pressure test port (front left top of the engine as you look at it from the front).

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
970 Posts
Mrboca, thanks for quick reply. I don't have a scan tool.
Is looking more like a fuel issue. Just went out and tried it again after vehicle sitting in garage all night. Cranked without starting. Switched off, tried again and it started. My inexpert opinion: initial cranking pressurised fuel, second crank with fuel pressure enabled a start. Does this sound reasonable? Is this a sign of injector leak? If so, what needs to be done? I guess check injectors for seal leaking.
If you think this is the case, try turning the key to run a couple of times without hitting the starter, then hit the starter. If you hypothesis is correct, the engine should start on the third key on/first start.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI tabijan - tried your suggestion and IT WORKED PERFECTLY! It looks like injector seals are the probem. I will source 6 seals and do the whole 6 while I am at it. Can you describe which injector seals to get or is there only one per injector? Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the seal DPH Fuel Injector O-Ring; 7.8x3.6mm P/N: 13641286708 DPH which I located on autohausaz.com. Has 2 per injector.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,512 Posts
I don't think it's the injectors.... as you turn the key to position 2, it will activate the fuel pump for a short period of time to pressurize the fuel rail. Maybe that's what happening now.

Put a fuel gauge on the car before you start the car and observe fuel pressure during first crank and second crank.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,159 Posts
I am seeing two different part numbers. The one you listed and A019997134 8. Also on Fcpeuro I see your part number has a different measurement. They have 7.52 x 3.53mm for the part number you listed.

And how do you know its the injector seals? Your problem is either fuel pump related or there's a problem with the fuel pressure regulator which is built into the fuel filter.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,665 Posts
As per Jeebus ,,, crank no start condition on M112 and M113 is often due to a bad crankshaft position sensor...
Do you know if it has ever been replaced ?
If not ,,you should replace it anyway as part of preventative maintenance..only use a Bosch.
Normally they fail when hot ,,after the car has been parked for 15 minutes or so..but there are exceptions..

Otherwise ,,next thing I would do is replace the fuel filter/regulator as per illstplaya
I doubt that injector seals are the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
I misread the post #3 late at night. If the car behaves the same way when cold, it is more likely the fuel pump check valve. It is unlikely the CPS, as a bad CPS typically will not let the car start when the engine is hot, first or second or subsequent tries. You need to wait till the engine to get cooler.

If I remember correctly, there was a similar post (from member Cerritos ?) a year ago. He had the same symptoms, and he went to the dealer to get the fuel filter changed. The dealer replaced the fuel filter and told him that he had a problem with the pump..There was a lot of discussion whether the filter was defective, etc...I believe he got the pump replaced to solve his problem, if I remember correctly.

The fuel pump test, as I posted before will identify the issue, if it is fuel delivery related. Do not buy and replace stuff prior to proper diagnosis. The question is why would a fuel pump or any other fuel component fail at 54K miles ?

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210)
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the vehicle to a highly recommended indie who confirmed he had diagnostic system which would do a full scan.
Threw error code re camshaft sensor. Had him replace it and also after discussion we decided to replace fuel filter, which was original, and transmission mount, both of which would need to be done sometime soon. Error code now gone, and a couple of old ones cleared. All done at v.reasonable cost. Pleased to report that so far vehicle starting perfectly. Wonder how it will start tomorrow morning - have fingers crossed.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,512 Posts
Yes, camshaft sensor going bad would make it difficult to start the car in one go. You didn't mention a CEL, since bad cam sensor (P0340) will trigger CEL when the car finally starts. That would've been nice to know....for future reference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
these cars are notorious for bad k40 module, however with a bad k40 the car wont crank BUT will start intermittently without problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts